Corsair Community

Microsoft AHCI vs Intel's AHCI driver

Hey guys I was wondering if you guys have tested the ssd's with different drivers? I was using Microsoft Standard AHCI1.0 drivers for the longest time since I read it was the only driver to support trim. Performance was great, according to ATTO I was exceeding the advertised speed, but I was experiencing a major annoyance in that if I put my computer into sleep mode when I woke it up all my secondary hard drives would be missing even if I refreshed the hardware in device manager. I would have to reboot to get my drives back rendering sleep mode pretty much useless to me. Now I read that the new Intel Rapid Storage driver supports trim (can a corsair guy confirm that?). So I installed that driver (if I click driver details I see iastor.sys version 9.6.0.1014 as my driver). The good news is I can use sleep mode again, my secondary drives are present when I wake it up and my read speed went from a max of 216000MB/sec to 239000MB/sec. The bad news is my write speeds took a hit going from a high of 189000 down to a high of 159000. 1. Has anyone else experienced the same sleep issue I was having with the Standard AHCI1.0 drivers? 2. Did your write speed also suffer when switching to Intel's RST driver. (please note, if you just installed Intel's INF Chipset drivers your still using Microsofts Standard AHCI Controller, it might say Intel but if you go to driver details you'll see its really the Microsoft driver) Thanks for the input.

Intel RST and the old Matrix drivers give me the sleep-wake problems so I don't use them. The so-called MS AHCI driver is actually made by Intel. i.e. When you install the Intel INF chipset driver, the msahci gets updated. I'm sure the performance will vary somewhat in benchmark but in real-world use I doubt you'll feel the difference.

Yes, Intel RST 9.6.0.1014 gives you trim but as per the other thread on this forum the Corsair F120 (possibly other Corsair SSDs or SF based SSDs) cannot support trim at this time. They should, but BSOD makes it useless.

Please note that if you install Windows on your SSD the benchmark won't be even close to the performance to one that's not a system drive. In other words, you'll never see the advertised number because we use the SSD for system not data.

Also, at least for my current Force SSD where trim doesn't work, once data starts to rewrite itself, the performance can only go downhill overtime. So the more you use it (and test it) the slower it'll get. The slowest it'll get happens when every cell has data on it, at which point any write event is considered a "re-write".

I prefer the MS AHCI driver because it supports hot-plug better. Every drive has the "safety remove" available. Once you install the RST, you can hot plug, but you cannot "hot-unplug". This is of course if you don't mind the possible data loss.

@jasondhsd I see you use P -series of Corsair SSD's, So controller and "problems" are very different, from me and dikai_yang. We use F -series SSD's.

So your system can come up from sleep on RST driver, main not. there is even newer RST driver out, but havent tryed it yet maybe it helps you.

@dikai_yang; Plz use edit, if you have something to add on the last post you write before.

Archived