Corsair Community

Did my PSU catch fire?

Carnildo

Last night, my computer spontaneously powered down. Hitting the power button did nothing, and when I checked the back of the computer, I noticed smoke rising from the PSU exhaust. There are no scorch marks or visibly damaged components anywhere in my computer, but the PSU smells strongly of burnt electronics. Is the culprit likely to be the PSU, or should I be looking elsewhere?

The PSU is a two-and-a-half year old 520HX. If I RMA it, what will I get as a replacement, and most importantly, will the replacement have modular cabling?

And on a related note, what's a good fire extinguisher for use with computers? I've heard that the common dry chemical extinguishers do bad things to circuit boards.

• Corsair Employees

Request an RMA

You would need to contact our customer service to find out what exact replacement they would send out, but it should be a modular unit of equal or greater wattage if you are sending us the HX520. Once you receive the RMA number, you can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com.

CO2 based extinguishers would probably be the best choice if your system catches fire, but if you don't have one, I would just use whatever means you have.

Last night, my computer spontaneously powered down. Hitting the power button did nothing, and when I checked the back of the computer, I noticed smoke rising from the PSU exhaust. There are no scorch marks or visibly damaged components anywhere in my computer, but the PSU smells strongly of burnt electronics. Is the culprit likely to be the PSU, or should I be looking elsewhere?

Wow I've only managed to produce smoke from 1 system so far, slow down that overclock a bit eh? =P I kid, anyway, couple quick questions to set my mind at ease(you haven't filled out your system specs yet): do you mount your PSU with the fan up or down in relation to your mobo? do you use any type of liquid cooling?? Is your case vented on top? Do any of your case fans show streak marks or are any of them wet around the inner diameters(swipe your finger, when fan is off ofc, across them to check. Have any pets? When is last time you dusted your pc? Hmm, do you have a fire pit in your room or just regular HVAC? all i can think of for now =0 hope you get a speedy replacement...just make sure you don't have some leaky component sitting above your psu mounting location ready to set the next one on fire =)

Archived