Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R issues...

ZildjianAVC

Hi. Thank you in advance.

I bought this set of RAM: HX3X12G1600C9

and this mobo: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

and I've been having problems since day one. Here is what I know:

EVERYTHING WORKS PRETTY WELL WHEN: I have 6GB installed, clocked to 1333Mhz and my CPU is underclocked to 2.0Ghz (as opposed to the default 2.66).

With the following configs, my computer stutters at regular intervals of about .6 seconds, which makes playing games/watching video/audio quite annoying:

- with the same 6GB installed running at 1066 or 1333 at with CPU at default clock settings.

- with all 12GB running 1066, 1333 or 1600 (1600 and XMP crashes system)

I haven't touched any other overclock-related settings because I don't know how to overclock and I don't really want to try it (stability is key for me) UNLESS it fixes this problem. My mobo natively detects the RAM as 1066, which is odd.

Thank you so much for any help. I really need this computer for my work.

Best,

Nathan

What voltage is your RAM, and have you set the XMP to Profile 1 if the RAM is 1.65V?

According to the link I posted, it is 1.6V. I need to double check what my BIOS is set to when I get home.

If it turns out to be different than 1.6 or 1.65, which should I change it to?

EDIT: I tried what you suggested and got a BSOD. "MEMORY_MANAGEMENT"

what should I increase the QPI/VTT by? not even sure how to do that on my mobo.. couldn't find the settings to change to "2T" either. but the 9-9-9-24 was on by default.

okay found CMD rate. and tried QPI/Vtt at 2.0, 2.4, 3.0, 3.5 (2.5 is default for XMP Profile 1), all stutters and crashes. (no BSOD, just restart)

It is highly likely that your CPU's memory controller is unable to handle the added loading from having more than two ranks per channel. (Remember, all i7 CPUs have their memory controller on the CPU die.)

For the record, the HX3X12G1600C9 will soon give way (in terms of the model number) to the CMX12GX3M6A1600C9 (the new part number for the HX3X12G1600C9). So, if you send in one HX3X12G1600C9 kit for RMA, you would receive one CMX12GX3M6A1600C9 kit in return.

By the way, I have recently upgraded my system's RAM from 6GB to 12GB - but I was unable to find any memory that would work together well with my existing TR3X6G1600C7 (the revision of that memory that I have used Elpida Hyper ICs, which are no longer available). The new part number for the TR3X6G1600C7 is (technically) the CMX6GX3M3C1600C7 - but the ICs used in a new package of that kit are likely to be different from those in my then-current memory. I replaced that kit with two 6GB kits of CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 (this memory kit was formerly known as the TR3X6G1600C9). I knew that I would not be able to run the full load at the rated DDR3-1600 speed, so I am satisfied with a lower overclock from the stock 2.8GHz to 3.5GHz (with the memory running at DDR3-1333 speed at the JEDEC specs).

By the way, my new CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 kits are of version 5.2 (Hynix ICs).

yeah, see I would be happy with your results. If I could run 12GB @ 1333 as opposed to my current 6GB @ 1066.... Also my CPU currently must be underclocked from 2.66 all the way to 2.0 (!). I think it's a bit ridiculous. I think I should RMA my RAM to see if it helps, but I need my computer for work, and I don't have any backup RAM. Can I get a set to use while I return my current set?

• Corsair Employees
We are more than happy to replace the modules for you. However as far as a cross ship RMA you would need to apply for the RMA and then contact customer service to see if that is something that would be possible.

• 1 month later...
  • 9 months later...

edit: turns out the problem never fixed :/ it's just slightly better.

I just updated to the most recent BIOS and am having the same issue. Maybe the memory just isn't compatible with the motherboard? It isn't on the supported RAM list for the mobo. Would this be a sign of that?

• Corsair Employees
What do you have the CPU/QPI Voltage set to? We suggested 1.25 - 1.35 Volts previously? If that is whats set now try it at 1.45 Volts might also be called QPI/DRAM Voltage not to be confused with the DRAM Voltage which should be set to 1.65 Volts

Archived