Corsair Community

Need Recommendation for DDR3 1333 in 4GB modules

irastowa

I plan to build a system around Asus P7P55D-E Pro with an i7-860 running Win 7/64. This system should serve as a highly capable platform for (heavy) office work and Photoshop CS5, only very occasional games.

Initially I would like to put in a total of 8 GB DDR3 1333 as 2x 4GB modules and I woulkd like to be able add another 2x 4GB for a total of 16GB in the future - if this turns out necessary/useful. I am therefore NOT interested in 2GB modules, despite more favorable prices.

As I have very limited technical understanding, skills and patience I do NOT want to overclock anything ever, neither RAM nor CPU or fiddle around a lot. I am looking for rock-solid, hassle free build, installation and operation. Performance comes second.

Unfortunately the only QVL I can find at Asus homepage is very old (12/2009) and does not contain any 4GB modules. And the Corsair memory configuirator does not show any 8GB kit with 4GB modules for the p7p55d-e Pro.

Is there a suitable Corsair 8GB DDR 1333 Kit with 2x 4GB that will work smoothly on this mobo?

Somewhere I came across this kit: CMX8GX3M2A1333C9 but am unable to find detailed information on this kit on the Corsair homepage!?

Thanks in advance for your kind help!

Amusing coincidence, I have pretty much the same question: 2x4GB now in a P55 system, with 2x4GB extra at some unspecified point in the future. Though I have not fully decided on the motherboard yet, and I do want to play games ;).

Even before specific motherboard compatibility, my reason for coming to the forums was because there does not seem to be any information at all on the Corsair site about (some of) their 4GB DIMM kits:

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

CMP8GX3M2A1600C9

CMP16GX3M4A1333C9

all return no results whatsoever in search for me, and I have not been able to find anything via regular navigation. That is slightly disturbing, even should they be extremely recent releases. There's really not even a press release or something?

hehe!

You are absolutely right!

There is no information whatsoever to be found on these three Corsair kits on their websites. However, at Amazon and at other online retailers in Germany some or all of these 3 kits are listed in stock and listeing date was May 2010 ... so they are do not appear to be extremely recent.

At some of these retailers the memory is listed as XMS3 whith new style heat spreaders [which would be in line with the Corsair memory naming], at other online stores its listed as "Dominator". And prices vary wildly!

really strange.

1. Where on Corsairs web presence are full specs for these 3 kits:

CMX8GX3M2A1333C9

CMP8GX3M2A1600C9

CMP16GX3M4A1333C9

2. Would any or all of these 3 kits be compatible with Asus P7P55D-E Pro?

3. If answer to 2 is "NO"... if I want to stuff an Asus P7P55D-E Pro with 16 GB (4x 4GB) DDR3 1333 ... is there any other Corsair memory Kit that would work?

Thanks for your assistance!

thanks a lot!

However, the tech guys at Asus are telling me that 16GB of 1333 DDR3 "wont work" ... at best it might be 16GB @ 1066 ???

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20100725111856687&SLanguage=en-us&page=1&board_id=1&model=P7P55D-E%20PRO

I am at a complete loss ... I thought I could stick 4x 4GB DDR3 1333 into any P55 dual channel board with 4 memory slots and get 16GB of DDR3 working at 1333 ... what do u make of this?

Thanks!

really sorry for the duplicate posts - I was a bit confused with the forum structure at first.

16 GB (4 sticks) @ 1333 MHz is possible, but ultimately it depends on the strength (so to speak) of your individual CPU's memory controller. You may have to run it @ 1066 MHz for stability, but that's where tweaking the BIOS comes into play.

looking at an I7-860 .. is the memory controller on that one up to it?

Where in a CPU's specs can I find this info?

Would a combination of say AMD Phenom II X6 1055T + 890GX/SB850 mainboard be (better) able to handle 16GB DDR3 at 1333?

Whaat would happen if I stick the above mentioned 16GB Corsair 16 GB kit into the Asus P7P55D-E PRO 4 memory slots and press the "Memory OK" button ... 16GB would sync at 1066 or total fail?

And right, I will also put the last quetsion to the Asus guys ... :laughing:

Archived