Corsair Community

Corsair TX750W suppose to run hot?

mathesar

I installed an EVGA GTX480 and Corsair 750TX at the same time 2 months ago and just assumed all the new heat was coming from the videocard..

but Im starting to wonder if the PSU is playing a bigger role than I thought, Im not sure how to properly test this but when I take the side panel off my case you can feel a rush of hot air come out and the PSU is very warm to the touch.

the videocard is definately warm as well but I dont feel heat rolling off it the same was as the PSU. The top half of my case is much warmer to the touch than I ever remember it being and I confirmed all my case fans are working, I cleaned the front intake air filter (3 front intake fans, 1 side exhaust, 1 120mm rear exhaust)

The PSU fan is working but im not sure if its suppose to change RPM depending on heat? It seems to be spinning at a slow RPM but not slow enough to actually see the blades. also you can barely feel any air coming from the PSU exhaust especially when compared to the airflow coming from my rear 120mm case fan.

The PC has been stable, it hasnt been reboot or powered off in over a week and gets used a lot for gaming. I just wanted to be sure there isnt something wrong with the PSU because its definately warmer than any previous PSU ive owned.

Not sure if this helps but this is my current (idle) temp readings and its about 76F in my room.

http://ded.zenblue.net/current_pc_temps.jpg

PC: i7 920 @ 3.36ghz, 6gb Corsair ddr3 1600, Evga gtx480, 4 internal HDDs, Sony dl burner, Corsair 750TX psu, gigabyte ex58-udr3

If the fan is spinning and the system is stable, I think you are OK. Keep in mind that the 480s are VERY hot GPUs. So, you are going to generate heat from the card and in the PSU do to high power consumption.

Ok sounds good Thanks for the response. I plan on buying a Corsair H50 CPU cooler soon perhaps that will drop temps a little as well.

Hello,

I also had a question regarding the thermodynamics of these PSUs and figured I'd just ask here rather than starting a new thread.

I first started with a TX750W PSU, and as the OP mentioned it was one of the hottest components in my system. It would literally increase the ambient room temperature by several degrees. I didn't mind this as I expected a heavy duty PSU to generate a considerable amount of heat.

Now I upgraded to a HX850W and now my issue is with the "thermally controlled" 140mm fan; It seems to spin at one speed and not "thermally controlled". My TX750w would let the fan run even after the system was shut down (similar to car radiator fans on German cars) to allow it to cool down. It would do this everytime the system was ran, except when maybe ran for an extremely short while where the PSU never actually got warm. But even still I noticed it would run varying amounts of time after shutting down the system. My HX850W has yet to do this, leading me to believe perhaps the fan is not thermally controlled. Or is it possible that the HX850w, being MORE powerful, is actually in turn producing LESS heat? Even after a 4GHz + stability test and immediate shutdown the PSU fan just stops, unlike the older TX750W.

These details are quite important to me so I want to know if there is any way I can test the fan, if not I suspect I may have a defective PSU.

My HX850W has yet to do this, leading me to believe perhaps the fan is not thermally controlled.

Most likely you are not stressing the PSU enough to cause the fan to make a noticable increase in RPMs. We designed the "curve" on the thermal fan controller to ramp up slowly so that noise does not become an issue.

Or is it possible that the HX850w, being MORE powerful, is actually in turn producing LESS heat? Even after a 4GHz + stability test and immediate shutdown the PSU fan just stops, unlike the older TX750W.

The HX850 is larger and more efficient than the TX750 for sure. And with a single 465 GPU, you are not placing much stress at all on the 850. Based on what you have posted, your system seems fine to me.

Hey Yellowbeard,

Thanks for the quick response I really appreciate it.

I forgot to mention the TX750w was used with a Phenom II X4 BE 3.4GHz and GTX 260 while the HX850W is being used on a new system with i7-920 and GTX 470.

It'd hard for me to tell but honestly it did seem as if the HX850w was running a bit cooler than the tx750w I had. But could this just be because of the redesigned fan speed curve? Less air coming out would give the false sensation that it is running "cooler" no? Because I only did a "hand behind the fan" test, so not sure if it's actually running cooler. The room temperature still rises as it used to before with the tx..

Also what about the fan not running after a system shut down? Could there really be that big a thermal difference between 100W and perhaps few % increased efficiency?

If someone can just clarify this for me I can rest peacefully. The new HX850w seems to run cooler, however the new system is drawing more power than the previous rig on which the TX750w was used. The fan on the hx850w has not once remained on after a system shut down.

Can anyone else with a HX850w chime in and share their experience with it, especially regarding the fan behavior?

Thank you

Hi I just wanted to update this thread since I discovered what was causing excessive heat.

My rear 120mm case fan was going bad, I noticed a humming / rubbing sound coming from the case and upon further inspection the fan would spin slow & fast with fluctuating RPMs and even at its "fastest" spin it wasnt at normal speed, when the power was off it was actually hard to spin the blades manually by hand (it was about to seize up, it lasted nearly 3 years at least).

I replaced it today and let it run for awhile before checking temps, I can confirm all of my temps have dropped considerably and even the side of my case is cool to the touch. What I should do is get the fan plugged into my motherboards fan header so I can monitor temps via software next time. actually.. im going to do that right now lol.

But basically the PSU wasn't at fault here!

Thanks.

Archived