Corsair Community

Flash Voyager GTR 32 GB not working

Refvik

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Update worked fine. Lets hope that's the end of all these firmware issues.

Thanks for the update Yellowbeard.

Just wondering, can this FW update app be used on sticks that are already incapacitated, like with the constant blue blinking light for example?

Just wondering, can this FW update app be used on sticks that are already incapacitated, like with the constant blue blinking light for example?

Both of my dead (flashing blue light) GTR 64GB's updated fine, and are now working again. Of course all the previous data was gone.

Simply run the update while the light is flashing. It works. No need to RMA dead devices suffering the continuous blue blinking light problem.

Thanks to the Corsair staff that worked on this update/fix. My faith in Corsair has been (mostly) restored.

as to trusting the update, only time will tell.

in the Yellowbeard link for the firmware update, he mentions the update is only for some of the problems.

what doesn't it fix i wonder? is another update in the pipe line?

Yellowbeard said "This corrects some issues with the existing firmware that may allow data corruption or for a drive to corrupt the firmware and become unusable". He doesn't say "some of" the issues. It's not strictly implied that there are still other issues left unresolved. The two main issues people have had he's said are corrected now.

And Kev, thanks for that info. My current stick was already working. I was just curious.

as to trusting the update, only time will tell.

in the Yellowbeard link for the firmware update, he mentions the update is only for some of the problems.

what doesn't it fix i wonder? is another update in the pipe line?

I am not aware of any outstanding or open issues at this time. I used the word "some" because there is more than 1 type of issue addressed by this update. Don't read too much into it ;):

Afraid this firmware update has not fixed the issue for me.

I was able to run the update on one of the (now-rare) occasions when the device was picked up properly.

The update ran fine, but didn't fix anything. I still get endlessly blinking blue light when trying to plug it in, and nothing is picked up.

Trying to run the update when in this state (as others have indicated above should be possible?) gives me "Device not found, please insert device."

This device was purchased approx 4 months ago. I would like to know what my options are. Can I return this for a refund? Or only a replacement?

SIDENOTE: I tried for half an hour to register here with the username "brian_c", before figuring out that the underscore is invalid. Why did it take me so long to figure this out? Because the form EXPLICITLY indicated that the username "brian_c" was both valid and unused, and the only error message I received on submission was "You have left a required field blank". EXTREMELY frustrating.

Actually brian_c is blocked because a spammer used it. Should've explicitly gotten a message stating:
Registration denied, this forum runs an active policy of not allowing spammers. Please contact us via the "Contact Us" page link if you believe this is in error
I know it works because I just tested it with that same username.

I did get that message sometimes, but inconsistently, and assumed it was related to not filling out the CAPTCHA correctly.

Regardless, at no point (including the above message) was it made clear in any way that the username was the actual problem.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

I have been following this thread ever since my new GTR started showing these problems last year (prior to the new firmware upgrade).

Today i recieved my RMA replacment GTR and the first thing i did after opening the box was to apply the new firmware.

The second thing i tried was copying 30Gb of my work files onto the new stick....it failed after only ten minutes!! (same old flashing LED and drive name changed back to D)

I have reapllied the firmware and formatted as exFAT, same issue after 15 minutes of transfer. But now after unplugging the drive and remounting i can see the files that had copied before bombing out but i cant delete them by either right click or Shift/Delete.

RamGuy is there anything i can do to condition this drive to make it more stable? Is there anything that SD Formatter will improve? I tried version SDF2.9 on the last dodgy stick with no avail.

Id rather try and fix it rather than pay another £5 postage to the Netherlands for another RMA like the one which arrived today and is already showing the same symptoms.

Thanks,

Thanks Wired - Just cant believe New Hardware + New Firmware = Still Bricked!

Do i need to keep doing this until i get a good one? Maybe if Corsair send me ten i will get one that works ;-)

Sorry, just frustrated. I have so many Corsair logo's on the kit in my PC's it looks like product placement - its just a shame something as small but everyday as a flash drive causes the most grief.

Wish id not lost my old voyager now :sigh!:

Hi RamGuy,

I was away over the Holidays so it was updated and tested on my Sony Vaio Z13 laptop. I have re-updated the firmware on the Vaio and then transfered a smaller amount of data (a few Gig) and after 2-3 miniutes the same thing happened.

Now i am home i have again updated firmware on a USB port directly on my desktop motherboard and then started transfering a few gig, same results after just a few seconds this time.

This however is different to the symptoms seen prior to the firmware upgrade on my pre-RMA flash drive. Previously after the blue LED starts flashing i would have to unplug and once plugged back in i would only get the option to re-format the drive from Windows.

Now however once the LED starts flashing i get an error that wondows cannot find the folder i was trying to copy to when it failed, if i hit Skip the copy window will disapear but i can still see the flash drive, however if i open it there is nothing on it.

If i now Eject and remove the flash drive and plug it back it i can open it and see the files that had copied up until it failed. If i resume the copy the same thing happens after a minute or so once again.

So to summerise, slightly different symptoms and at least the files are recoverable after reinsterting drive now but it is failing after a few seconds of minutes everytime i try and copy to it so unusable for anything bigger than a few meg at a time.

Have tried exFAT and NTFS both showing same results.

Any advice?

• Corsair Employee
If we have replaced this before please conatct our customer service with your previous RMA number and they will take care of you and get it replaced again, if not then please use the link on the left and request a new RMA and we will be happy to replace it.

I might have just been unlucky and got a duff RMA replacment unit - it did say reconditioned on the packaging.

I will get a third unit in and post again with the results after applying the new firmware to that one.

RamGuy - is there anyway to check what firmware the next RMA unit is shipped with? Should they now be shipping with the new firmware or should they be upgraded as a matter of course?

Thanks,

I might have just been unlucky and got a duff RMA replacment unit - it did say reconditioned on the packaging.

I will get a third unit in and post again with the results after applying the new firmware to that one.

RamGuy - is there anyway to check what firmware the next RMA unit is shipped with? Should they now be shipping with the new firmware or should they be upgraded as a matter of course?

Thanks,

If this was a recent RMA, talk with customer service and they'll cover the shipping costs.

I have bought the GTR corsair 32 GB in march 2010, and yesterday, that's was not recognized by 0 system !!!!!

the controlleur is now called XXXXXXU168 controller.

I have read the topic and other people have the same problem!!!

i am very angry.

this USB key cost very expensive (120 €) and this firmware problem is inexcusable !!!!

Corsair deceive me !!!!

I have bought the GTR corsair 32 GB in march 2010, and yesterday, that's was not recognized by 0 system !!!!!

the controlleur is now called XXXXXXU168 controller.

I have read the topic and other people have the same problem!!!

i am very angry.

this USB key cost very expensive (120 €) and this firmware problem is inexcusable !!!!

Corsair deceive me !!!!

You fail to prove your hypothesis of deception with a lack of evidence.

Try the firmware update: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=91444 NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DRIVE

If it doesn't help or you can't flash the drive, it's still covered under warranty.

You fail to prove your hypothesis of deception with a lack of evidence.

Try the firmware update: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=91444 NOTE: THIS WILL ERASE YOUR DRIVE

If it doesn't help or you can't flash the drive, it's still covered under warranty.

Thank you for the link

I am french, so my english is approximative, but i am disappointed by this model...

Archived