Corsair Community

Flash Voyager GTR 32 GB not working

Refvik

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply
That's my main problem... :sigh!:

How can I trust that it will not happen again when I will get my replacement stick? :confused:

I buy iy today and it have the same problems. I try to copy some files and than is the copying is interupted, the usb flash apears with no capacity and its blinking continuosly. The usb flash is a Corsair Voyager GTR 32 GB. :(

Yes, I fully agree that a backup is needed once in a while. But do I need to do this every time I do any changes on the files on the flash drive due to the element of uncertainty that comes with the Corsair Voyager GTR 32 GB?

On a side note, there's something I've been curious about.

On the packaging of my original stick and it's first replacement, it listed compatibility with USB 2(only), but my second replacement listed USB 2 AND USB 3 compatibility.

Are there any differences between the sticks, or is purely just updated packaging?

I would suggest doing what is reasonable just leave a copy on the HDD when ever you copy something.

What is the point to have an unreliable Corsair Voyager GTR 32 GB if you need to do that all the time?

I have used USB drivers for many year, and the only reason for changing them is greater capacity.

As I am away for five weeks, I have all my personal stuff on the USB drives since I am using a work computer. When back home I move or backup this to the desktop. Also, all info regarding my private business is on that drive as well since I need to run that one also when I am away...

So for years I have trusted my USB pen, so was also my intention when I purchased the Corsair Voyager GTR 32 GB that I belived was the best on the marked...

On a side note, there's something I've been curious about.

On the packaging of my original stick and it's first replacement, it listed compatibility with USB 2(only), but my second replacement listed USB 2 AND USB 3 compatibility.

Are there any differences between the sticks, or is purely just updated packaging?

Sounds like updated packaging as USB3 connectors are backwards compatible with older USB devices.

I'm well aware that it's still only USB 2 speeds, and the "USB 3" is referring to being backward compatible.

All I was wondering was whether the newer sticks have any sort of updated firmware, since they bothered to update the packaging.

• 2 weeks later...

I picked one of these a couple of weeks ago to use in my car (Cadillac CTS). I wanted to dump my collection of music to it, so that I could have it with me when I traveled. Upon getting it, I hooked it up to my mac, dumped 22 gigs worth of mp3s to it, safely unmounted it, and brought it to my car. My car indexed everything fine, and played music for several hours that day. The next day, I start the car, and the usb stick starts blinking blue, and the car can't read the device. I bring it back inside, hook it up to my laptop, and it no longer sees it as a USB Mass Storage device, and can't do anything with it. I try hooking it up to my Win7 PC, no luck. I try it in my Linux box, no luck. I assume the drive is dead, and RMA it with newegg who immediately sends me a new one, and I think everything is great.

Except, the same exact thing happens with the new one. I go through almost the same procedure, RMA the new-new drive, and now I'm on my third one (thanks newegg for being so supportive). Lo and behold, this time, I finish populating the music to the drive, and in my haste to go see if the same thing happens a third time, I forget to eject the drive from OSX before doing anything. I plug it back into the laptop, just to make sure everything is okay, and ... dead, in the same exact manner.

So at this point, I assume there has to be something wrong with the devices in general and not what I'm doing, and run across this thread. I get the tool mentioned near the beginning of this thread, "reset" the device, and I can once again access the device. I can now reproduce the issue on demand by hooking it up to my car once and disconnecting, and can *nearly* reproduce it on command just by pulling it out of my laptop during I/O. The command I can use to break it on OSX or Linux from a shell is:

dd if=/dev/zero of=/Volumes/MUSIC/testfile bs=1M

and pull the device out of the machine a moment later. This ensures that there is heavy I/O going on during it. Obviously, in this case, "MUSIC" is the volume name I give it during formatting. I've tried formatting the device as fat32, fat16, hpfs, ext3, and xfs, and can break it with any filesystem I've put on there, so I don't think that comes into play either.

At this point, I'm not going to bug newegg yet again, as I'm fairly certain there is just something outright wrong with this thing. I have another brand USB stick that I use in my wife's car, which works just fine in all of the above situations, so I'm confident that I'm not doing anything wrong with it.

I looked through corsair's site just a bit, and have found no mention of any kind of updated firmware. Is there anything I can do at this point to get a functioning device that doesn't break under somewhat normal circumstances? I realize that, in a technical sense, my car isn't a supported system, but in reality it is just running a modified version of WindowsXP, so I don't think that argument will really hold up. Plus I can reproduce it on the 3 major OSes without issue, so....

:(

• Corsair Employee

The "GTR" Drives have a higher power requirement than normal flash drives, but as you stated we do not claim compatibility with car Stereos or any type of DVD CD player with USB compatibility. Sorry but there are just too many devices out that claim support for USB but I have not seen anyone of them show or list the USB Spec they used or follow.

I would suggest using just a normal USB Flash Voyager with that type of device but even then it may not be compatible.

The "GTR" Drives have a higher power requirement than normal flash drives, but as you stated we do not claim compatibility with car Stereos or any type of DVD CD player with USB compatibility. Sorry but there are just too many devices out that claim support for USB but I have not seen anyone of them show or list the USB Spec they used or follow.

I would suggest using just a normal USB Flash Voyager with that type of device but even then it may not be compatible.

You do realize that I clearly stated that I can reproduce this with my HP PC (Win7), mac laptop (OSX 10.6), and linux box (dell desktop pc running suse 11sp1), pretty much on demand? Am I not supposed to use this as a usb drive for any of those devices either? If not, what is this good for?

My initial post was designed to show a fair amount of testing that I've done in order to illustrate that there has to be a defect in your device. You can't simply latch onto one small portion of my post and point at that as an excuse for what is obviously a manufacturers defect when confronted with large evidence to the contrary.

Yes and we are looking into those reports, but the symptom is slightly different correct and happened after it was removed incorrectly on a supported system if I understand your post.

It's the same symptom in both cases - the firmware on the drive gets corrupted and you need to flash it back. So, just to be clear then, CORSAIR's stance on this is that if the system crashes while doing any kind of I/O, it's perfectly reasonable to brick the device for an average user? To take my test one step further, I started doing I/O to the device and pulled the power on my PC - blamo, drive is dead in the same exact way. The machine booted up - my other non-CORSAIR usb drive that was attached is still accessible, but yet all my data on this thing is gone now. Sometimes people have power outages, its not ideal, but it happens, but yet your device can't live through that? Is the stance to punish someone who accidentally forgets to eject it by destroying their data? Some poor sales guy somewhere trusts in your device, puts their presentation on it to take to a client and rushes off without thinking to eject, gets to the client site, and blamo, drive is dead? Is that fair?

Do you expect your average person to find this single thread, go to some random site to download that program, install it, and figure out how to re-flash the drive (and in the process lose all of the data)?

On any other reasonable device, if you pull it out mid-operation, you can expect to have some data loss from whatever was in flight, or maybe in a really horrible case, a corrupt filesystem. However, in both of those cases, you can still access the drive, you could still recover some of your data, and you could reformat it and start over if it came to it. In this case, the drive becomes *completely unusable*. Neither windows, linux, or OSX see it as a valid drive anymore. You can't do anything with it, unless you get DtMPTool to fix it (which corsair isn't even providing, I had to find it on some completely unrelated site).

There is obviously a flaw somewhere in these thing's firmware that causes it to wipe itself under less than ideal circumstances. I think that as I've gone through 3 different devices personally, all with the same defect, combined with other people on this thread having had this same exact issue, you can't just brush this off as user error.

I'm not even sure what is going on here at this point - I'm not asking for a refund, I'm not asking for a replacement, I'm actually trying to *help* you guys by providing additional details to help you isolate the problem. I use corsair ram in all of my gaming PCs, I own 3 other corsair USB drives (which, incidentally, don't have these problems), and in general have trusted in your brand. I didn't come here to naysay the corsair brand, I came to try and find a solution to my problem, and not finding one, I'm trying to help be a part of the solution.

However, all I'm finding is that when presented with a legitimate problem, instead of owning up to it and coming up with a fix, we get a bunch of responses designed to displace blame away from corsair and onto the people who paid money for your product, and in my case, who were just trying to help. Disappointing, to say the least.

• Corsair Employee
I don't see that we/I have displaced blame that is not the intent, only making some points of reference. The issue has emerged with some; not all users and as I stated we are looking into the problem is all I can say at this point. I would suggest we replace the drive and let me know the RMA and Tracking number and I will have the drives you send in tested specifically for this issue.

when a guy has the same problem on 3 Corsair USB drives and can reproduce the problem at will you still offer a replacement drive as a solution? Do you know the odds of him getting 3 bad drives from otherwise good stock? You must know you have a large batch (if not all) of stock suffering this problem. And you still intend to send the poor people a replacement duff USB drive. Shameful.

when a guy has the same problem on 3 Corsair USB drives and can reproduce the problem at will you still offer a replacement drive as a solution? Do you know the odds of him getting 3 bad drives from otherwise good stock? You must know you have a large batch (if not all) of stock suffering this problem. And you still intend to send the poor people a replacement duff USB drive. Shameful.

Scientific Method?

...I will have the drives you send in tested specifically for this issue.

RAM GUY

I did download the IT1168 DtMPTool V1.68.1.0. After some struggling with reginonal settings on the computer, I did managed to get it up and running. Unfortunately I cannot find my USB stick or any other healthy stick that I have tried when pressing "F3 Enum"

Any suggestion?

I got a "cannot read dtmptool.ini file!" error, what should I do to get the tool running on windows 7?

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

My employer recently purchased 8 of the Voyager GTR drives for my team to use while building/repairing systems. In the 2 weeks since we received them, we have had 4 of these devices fail in the same mannor as every one else on the forums.

My question is this, does the Survivor GTR series suffer from the same failure/blinking light issues as the Voyager GTR series?

When they work, the Voyager GTR drives are amazing, but when they fail, they are useless to us.

My question is this, does the Survivor GTR series suffer from the same failure/blinking light issues as the Voyager GTR series?

Cannot speak for Corsair, but according to the thread http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=471214, there seems to be a similar problem.

I'm sure Corsair is checking this problem, because the same problem has been reported by several customers. Today I got replaced the 2nd device and from my view it is only matter of time, when I'll send the third device back bricked again..

But simple question - is there any _estimation_ when the problem could be finally checked, eventually confirmed and fixed??

Archived