Corsair Community

F120 SSD Random Kernel-Power 41 BSOD; Not Detected on Boot

• Replies 623
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Alright. I will declare that the problem is solved. Corsair tech support should add disabling trim to their solution list for people who have random restart/bsod/drive not detected by bios after reboot. fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1 solved the problem

my system is running 14 hours straigt and no failures more. even made it through th night.. only disabled trim with fsutil behavior set disabledeletenotify 1..

just like we thought dikai_yang.

drive needs a firmware update asap to fix trim..

So good so far across 2 pcs. After so many posts, and trying all kinds of funny stuff, I find it pretty amazing the users actually found the culprit, more so than the makers themselves -- sandforce actually.

like i said before, if a different brand with the exact same sandforce chip works fine on trim then this is a firmware issue.

my system still runs fine now. but trim is still essential for ssd to keep up the speed.

so hopefully someone from corsair wil use this information and fix this with an new firmware.

and mods need to make a sticky that the corsair sandforce ssd need trim disabled for now to prevent bricks or data loss.

Edit:

=====================================================================

done some more research cause i cannot stand this..

i can reproduce the error now using a custom command string to trigger the trim on windows 7.

triggers the trim on drive and a few seconds later i get 0x000000f4 and the drive dissapeared.

so i force windows to send trim command to the drive and boom, it's done, system bsod, reboots and then goes to black screen with boot error after restart.

and the drive completely gone. need to power down and remove powercable, then hold pwr button to release the juice thats still left in the system.

power back on and the drive is there again.

so here you go, it's definitely a firmware issue with trim..

no thanks, now just fix it please..

How did you trigger the trim on Win7? I need to be able to make sure that the store were I bought the SSD can reproduce the error (I'm experiencing the same errors as everyone else in this thread) so that I can get a functional SSD in return (Other brand perhaps)

How did you trigger the trim on Win7? I need to be able to make sure that the store were I bought the SSD can reproduce the error (I'm experiencing the same errors as everyone else in this thread) so that I can get a functional SSD in return (Other brand perhaps)

using Delphi to send the command.

also after some googling i found a custom tool on that does the same, works only on sandfore ssd's

if you use it run in with with administrator permission.

i do not know if this app uses the windows 7 commands to trim so this might work or not. not my work.

they way i tested i get it to fail.

but i do not think you get get this drive swapped out for an other cause it's no defective but needs a proper firmware.

i'm happy if it's fixed fast now cause found the problem, the ball in in corsairs court now..

i say sticky this info.. disable trim to prevent this issue for now.

and for the love of it create a proper firmware with correct trim support.

why isn't there a reply from a corsair mod or tech yet?

this is a big issue on the force ssd drives.

It's great to see this thread can fix most of the BSOD/Drive disappearing problems on this whole SSD forum. I hope Corsair is not going to deny that this is a problem. They better acknowledge the Corsair Force SSD's do not yet support TRIM.

And, yes, they should make a sticky thread explaining that disabling TRIM will solve all kinds of problems instead of telling people to update Intel driver, AHCI/IDE, S3/S1, RMA, etc.

It's great to see this thread can fix most of the BSOD/Drive disappearing problems on this whole SSD forum. I hope Corsair is not going to deny that this is a problem. They better acknowledge the Corsair Force SSD's do not yet support TRIM.

And, yes, they should make a sticky thread explaining that disabling TRIM will solve all kinds of problems instead of telling people to update Intel driver, AHCI/IDE, S3/S1, RMA, etc.

took us both enough time to find out why and when this happens and how to solve it.

Corsair it's your turn now to help us out cause we are ready for your awnser..

Those sandforce techs or whoever's responsible should be ashamed of themselves. Letting the users go through so much difficulty to find the culprit
Yeah, like its so easy. Takeing out the trim, you get us back to... 1970? is it good or..

rather have no trim and a working non crashing system like now (36 hours running)

then a potentional data corruptor with trim enabled.

will wait if corsair comes with a fixed firmware in next few weeks or i sell this drive and get one with working trim. have a other branded sandforce ssd and works fine.

do not make me get a second other branded one corsair;)

I'm sure they have read this by now, or maybe they already knew... but why isn't there any response.

I hope that there already working on it. but indeed a quick response would be welcome.

my system is running 39 hours non stop now with no more issues. trim disabled solved it.

but i would like to have a working trim asap or performance will drop bigtime.

Ive been dealing with the same problem for about 2 weeks now. I bought the F60 Sandforce SSD for a system drive and instantly fell in love with its performance. Then it started crashing the system - usually once a day when the computer wasnt in active use the disk would stop being seen by the mobo, w7 would BSOD, the machine would reboot and then not recognize the drive until I turned the whole thing off and on again. I tried switching sata ports, cables, updating bios, changing ahci drivers. 3 days ago I was once again going through bios settings and noticed the native/legacy toggle for the sata controler. I turned the legacy mode off/turned the native mode on and so far the drive seems to be working fine. No crash in 3 days. No idea if it solved the problem or if its just a fluke - too early to tell. Im keeping my fingers crossed tho :P

Ive been dealing with the same problem for about 2 weeks now. I bought the F60 Sandforce SSD for a system drive and instantly fell in love with its performance. Then it started crashing the system - usually once a day when the computer wasnt in active use the disk would stop being seen by the mobo, w7 would BSOD, the machine would reboot and then not recognize the drive until I turned the whole thing off and on again. I tried switching sata ports, cables, updating bios, changing ahci drivers. 3 days ago I was once again going through bios settings and noticed the native/legacy toggle for the sata controler. I turned the legacy mode off/turned the native mode on and so far the drive seems to be working fine. No crash in 3 days. No idea if it solved the problem or if its just a fluke - too early to tell. Im keeping my fingers crossed tho :P

that setting might disable trim from bios and that's why it's still running.

count 5 people now with same issue, disabled trim and works fine again..

that setting might disable trim from bios and that's why it's still running.

count 5 people now with same issue, disabled trim and works fine again..

Im not sure thats the case. This is what the motherboard manual has to say about it:

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode

Specifies the operating mode of the integrated SATA controllers.

Disabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode.

In Legacy mode the SATA controllers use dedicated IRQs that cannot be shared

with other device. Set this option to Disabled if you wish to install operating

systems that do not support Native mode, e.g. Windows 9X/ME. (Default)

Enabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode.

Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support

Native mode, e.g. Windows XP.

Looks like Legacy mode is meant for older operating systems (some sort of backward compatibility option) and Native for newer ones. In that case its the Legacy setting which would limit the system's capabilities not the Native one.

Im not sure thats the case. This is what the motherboard manual has to say about it:

SATA Port0-3 Native Mode

Specifies the operating mode of the integrated SATA controllers.

Disabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode.

In Legacy mode the SATA controllers use dedicated IRQs that cannot be shared

with other device. Set this option to Disabled if you wish to install operating

systems that do not support Native mode, e.g. Windows 9X/ME. (Default)

Enabled Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode.

Enable Native IDE mode if you wish to install operating systems that support

Native mode, e.g. Windows XP.

The drive seems to be working fine (so far) in Native mode.

i cannot change that cause i run all my 6 ports in raid.

1 ssd seperately

2x drive in raid 0 and a 1 tb seperatly.

for me disabling trim is the only way.

trim works in this config with new rst drivers but the force drives fail. other branded sanforce works fine and can trim in this config.

Well, we'll see if this solves the problem at least partially (Im still not convinced the setting fixed it - need a few more days to be sure) - for people not running raid setups. Maybe itll be a clue as to what is wrong.

Also, what would be the best way of checking if trim is working properly in this mode?

Checked it with the fsutil behavior query disabledeletenotify command and W7 says trim is active. And the computer was left on for the last 72 hours without a crash... not even at night when it was idle (thats when the crashes usually happened before.) There were some downloads running in the background but that shouldnt be an issue as they went to another drive.

Archived