Corsair Community

Recommended memory doesn't work!

bdawg

Hi,

I recently decided to upgrade my memory.

My system specs are:

AMD Athlon s939 3200+

MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum motherboard

Corsair VS1GBKIT400C2.5 (2X512MB).

The corsair website recommended me to add VS2GBKIT400C3 (2 x 1gb). So i added these in the Dimms 3 and 4. PC wouldn't start and beeped a few times. Then i took everything out and put in the 1 gb ones in Dimms 1 and 2, nothing changed. I decided to go back to my old memory thinking that the new ones were not compatible. But now it doesn't start with them either!!! Before i started this upgrade, it had started to freeze at the start ups and would require couple reboots to get it going.

Any issues with the cl2.5 and c3 being different?

Any help is appreciated to steer me to the right direction.

Thanks,

install just the new memory alone, reset the BIOS and see if it boots.

if you were trying to mix 2 sets of ram this is not supported or suggested.

you must use the amount of ram you need from a single kit that is guaranteed to work as a single kit, not in conjunction with any other kits even if its the same model.

read this http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=3803&d=1215810616

Ok so i managed to get the new ram to work! The only way it would work was to put both 1gb rams in the green channels. It wont work with the dual channel configuration. What do i have to do for this?

Also i still get hang ups and freezes after a proper start up!

What do i need to tweak in the bios to fix this? Increase the voltage to Ram to 2.75v??

Thanks for the help,

Only running one kit of 2 X 1gb corsair now...gave up on the old kit i had, since its only 2 X 512mbs and didn't work well together....but now i need to tweak the bios so that these freezes don't happen after i start the pc...

any idea what needs to be done in the bios?

Here is the manual for the motherboard:

http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=proddesc&prod_no=587&maincat_no=1

Thanks,

Thanks Ram Guy,

It seems to be working well with no hangups so far!

Another quick question! If i were to add another of the same kit, would these settings stay the same? (Timing and ram voltage) So there would be 2 of VS2GBKIT400C3.

Thanks,

if you were trying to mix 2 sets of ram this is not supported or suggested.

you must use the amount of ram you need from a single kit that is guaranteed to work as a single kit, not in conjunction with any other kits even if its the same model.

read this http://forum.corsair.com/v3/attachment.php?attachmentid=3803&d=1215810616

you wold have to run them at a slower speed if they boot at all.

They booted but do i still use the timings to 3-3-3-8 and the memory voltage is set to 2.7v? Or what speed do i need to reduce them for the pc to be stable?

Thanks for all the help once again,

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys,

I am having problems after a short while again.

Now i have four VS1GB400C3 sticks installed in 4 modules. It boots but soon after it freezes.

How do i fix this problem, the voltage is set to 2.7 and the timings are at auto.

Any help would be much appreciated! I am about to take it in to get it fixed otherwise :)

Thanks..

it had started to freeze at the start ups and would require couple reboots to get it going.

I had boot problems before, on a older system I had, well as it turns out it was the power supply pooping out, oh worked fine until increasing loads at different time would cause the voltage to drop, so I replace it and solved that problem.

It might apply here.

Archived