Corsair Community

Asus P5E3 Deluxe WiFi-AP@n compatibility

Gun5linger

has anyone tried 2 kits of CMP4GX3M2A1600C8 (dominator 1600mhz) in this motherboard with a QX9770 processor ?

I'm looking to get 8GB in there, and know there are some issues with this, but dont see any 8GB kits listed from corsair that might be compatible, so was wondering if 2 of these kits might work, or do you think i'll need to slacken off the timings ?

If so, is it worth getting 8GB of the faster (CAS6) GT modules and running them on slacker timings ?

Based on ? .... the QX9770 is a 400mhz FSB by default, giving 1600mhz for the ram on auto clock settings or is there another restriction i am missing, a slightly reduced latency is acceptable, as i understand running a full 8gb might make tighter timings too difficult to sustain.

update to my thoughts in the original post, i'm considering one of these kits,

CMP8GX3M4A1600C8

rather than 2 separate kits that are not guaranteed to run together, i hadnt seen this kit when i made the original post.

• Corsair Employees
You are limited by the memory controller which is on the motherboard itself. Even the 8GB kit is not rated for those speeds and timings on your motherboard. They are tested and rated for a P55 motherboard with a Core i5/i7 processor.

so i'd be looking at slackening the timings off, to something around 1333 CAS9 or doing some serious BIOS tweaking in the hope of persuading the controller chipset to run a little faster maybe with a little more voltage etc

Thanks for the reply

EDIT:

one last question, as my obvious upgrade path later would likely mean me keeping the RAM and re-using it...... i assume that getting the 8GB kit is a better choice than two 4GB kits

The single 8GB kit is the better option for multiple reasons. 4 modules places a much greater load on the memory controller and most P35/X38/X48/P45 boards are not going to be able to hit 1600 running 4 up. Some will , some won't and it's hit or miss. Also, 2 kits purchased seperately cannot be guaranteed compatible.

ok, first up the 8GB kit is 4 modules ;) (i know corsair do a 2x4GB kit, but thats a huge gamble as i have no idea if my board would accept those) at least if it goes sideways on me with 4 modules i can run with only 2 till i opt to upgrade, and then as you say i have a full kit that was sold as such rather than playing the hit and miss game in purchasing a second 2 stick kit.

I think the 2 module 8gb kit was these.... CMP8GX3M2A1600C9 ... and i seriously doubt anyone has tested those with my motherboard, and unless someone wants to send me a set for testing, i can't afford a £270 gamble that could leave me with nothing usable from the kit ;) ... if i could be sure they would be ok, i'd take the latency drop to 9 for sure

• 2 months later...

ok, been away for a bit, back to looking at this issue, bearing in mind the possible 1333mhz limitation, is there actually anything to stop me trying a set of CMD8GX3M4A1333C7 out ??

I know those are intended for AMD setups, but, is there a physical reason other than the lack of the XMP type profile support that would stop me using them ?

thanks for the info, figured as much on the timings

seems i'm gambling which ever set i try, and i have about 4 i can take a punt on as there is a set of XMS3's that are rated at 1333mhz that i could also try, i guess one gamble is as big as the other, so i'll hedge my bets a little and get the ones i know i will be able to use later with an i7 (CMT8GX3M4A1866C9) and try underclocking them and see if they run stable on this setup till i upgrade.... at least that way i have something that i can put away till i plunge for the big upgrade if they dont work as i want

Archived