Corsair Community

Problems with CMD8GX3M4A1600C8

zaphod

Hello,

I purchased a 8GB kit last October (CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 - 2GB x 4 – 1600Mhz – CAS8) and have been running it with an MSI P55-GD80 and an Intel Core i7 860.

Unfortunately, in the last week I have experienced random crashes, blue screen of deaths and other intermittent oddities, such as badly copied files.

I ran Memtest86+ v4.00 when first installing the memory (all those months ago) and there were no errors and multiple passes with all four sticks installed. This kit is running with their XMP profile and has run fine so far. The processor is not being overclocked and all temperatures are acceptable. I recall an overnight 12 hour run of Prime95 (torture test in blend mode across 8 threads) was also successful.

However, a recent run of Memtest86+ results in errors when all four slots are populated. I’m not sure if it’s relevant, but there is only ever one address listed: 253.5MB. The error count on this address increases the longer the test runs.

I tried to test each stick individually (single channel mode – just DIMM1 filled) but I couldn’t find a single problematic stick using this method. I proceeded to test a pair of sticks at a time (DIMM1+DIMM3) and eventually located one pair that failed within minutes producing a single erroneous memory address (approximately at 130MB, I didn’t make an exact note of it). The other pair passed twice (in the same slots) and is currently installed; Windows 7 is now running well so far. I am therefore confident that one of the modules is faulty.

I’d be ever so grateful if you could advise me on how to proceed.

I don’t have access to another LGA1156 motherboard to test the memory so I am hoping I’m correct that the memory is at fault. Is there anything else I can do to confirm that it is indeed the memory before resorting to a RMA?

If I did return the modules, would I receive a brand new CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 kit or would it be used, refurbished or repaired?

What would be warranty term on the replacements?

Am I correct in assuming that I will have to return all four sticks, as they have been certified together? Or is it possible to return only the two I have identified as faulty?

Do I need to return the modules with the airflow cooler? The large box the modules and the cooler came in may be excessive.

Will I have to pay import/customs duty for the replacement from The Netherlands? (I am in the UK)

Thank you.

• Corsair Employees
Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.” As for import/customs duty normally you do not since it is a replacement however it can vary country to country.

Thank you for your reply.

I've submitted the RMA request and ticked the 'I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.' checkbox but I wrongly specified the thread ID (88287) and not your post ID (458350). Will this cause a problem? If so, shall I resubmit the RMA or is it possible for it to be changed?

Archived