Corsair Community

Tech behind the 800D's hot-swap and requirements of it

lhymes

So I'm really enjoying my new 800D rig and especially love the hot-swap drive bays in the front. Now, my question is, what are the requirements for fully utilizing them? Is it having AHCI on, having enhanced SATA mode enabled, or just usable with most standard non SATA-III HDs? Secondly, how do you recommend actually removing a drive when the computer is on? They don't natively display on the safely remove dialog of Windows 7 64-bit. I've essentially just been using the bays for hot-plug at times. I'm kinda surprised this info has been hard to find, but I've been hard-pressed to find any solid source of answers to these questions. Thanks a bunch in advance.

Well, I'll reply to my own thread and provide what I have been able to figure out, but I'm still interested details and corrections. The backplanes appear to function with SATA enhanced mode enabled (whether in RAID or AHCI configuration). I am able to actually eject the drives using this utility: http://mt-naka.com/hotswap/index_enu.htm. It appears the "hot swapping" is more for replacing a bad drive that's in a mirrored RAID than anything else.

Archived