Corsair Community

TX750W makes high-pitched squeal - defective product

heythisisdave

I just got another TX750W through the RMA process, spent an hour swapping it in for my old one and got an even higher pitched squeal from it than before. Not only that, but it appears my BIOS settings have reset and now I'm experiencing all kinds of stability issues. This is pretty stock settings (no overclocking). The only thing I'm doing out of the normal is running two video cards, but since you give three PCI-E cables, I assume others are doing the same and it's within the bounds of this PSU.

Corsair (and others who are coming through Google), I believe this product is defective, not my unit but this entire line of TX750Ws and possibly other Corsair PSUs. I've seen posts about this unit all over this forum and the web. I consider my time extremely valuable and having to go through hoops for your Advanced Replacement Service (I can't believe that you would consider a normal RMA to be acceptable Customer Service standards - most of us use our computer everyday, to be shut down for 1-1.5 weeks while we're waiting for a new unit is unacceptable) and then swapping out a PSU (a pretty time intensive task) has really frustrated me with your brand.

While waiting for your RMA to come through, my 30 day return from Newegg has expired. If you have any interest in keeping me as a customer in the future, I would like to return both of these PSU's and try another brand altogether for my PSU unit.

I remember you guys as having great memory chips from the XMS days and it seems like you care about branding since I got the PSU in a nice felt bag. I think you need to remember that you need both flash and substance, all the pretty wrapping around a crap product just makes me believe that this company has become overrun with MBAs who are reselling other companies crap products.

Here are my system specs for future frustrated owners:

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R

6GB OCZ RAM

EVGA 9800GTX

EVGA 9800GT

Intel i7-930

I tried the things on that thread (disabling speedstep-like feature of the CPU). I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to do with the idea that it's the GPU - does that mean my GPUs are defective? Seems like if they're causing the PSU to make a squeal then it's the PSU's fault.

Also, trying all these parts in various machines presupposes that a) I have another machine to try this on and b) I have time to be swapping power supply units. Even swapping video cards is a real pain, to swap a PSU takes a long time, I don't have time to be Corsair's testing department.

I've also just RMA'd a TX750 that was just under 3 years old. The fan beaing started clicking when I turned my PC in one afternoon. On closer examination the fan did not fully shutdown in standby and the unit emitted a conastant whine while in standby. It's confirmed for me that BIOS/GPU settings were not a culprit, the psu decided it was time to crap-out. (pop into the user profile for system details)

This is now my 3rd Corsair RMA, and I've only purchased two products. With that kind of track record I'm very disiclined to purchase any Corsiar products in the future.

• Corsair Employees
Heythisisdave, you definitely have the option to have us replace the unit for you, Request an RMA. If you would like to find out if there are ways to speed up the RMA process wait until you receive the RMA number and then contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com.

So I was very frustrated with Corsair but after some wrangling in customer service, I did get someone to approve sending a different power supply (not just another TX750).

I have to say I was still relatively impressed with Corsair's customer service department in the end, it took some doing but I think they did the right thing.

I'll post an update on the TX850 they're sending me and see if that has the same buzz/whine/squeal. In the meantime, if you're seeing this, in addition to the CPU states, also check this page for additional information on squealing.

http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1493744

• 2 weeks later...

The TX850 seems to generate less noise, even when running under heavy 3D loads (Starcraft 2). It's also possible that I'm just not hearing it as well since I'm running my fans more powerfully (to deal with a Northbridge cooling issue on my mobo) - however, the electric squeal is definitely gone or significantly diminished.

I would like to say that Corsair in the end did do the right thing and for that I applaud them.

Archived