Corsair Community

Second CMX4GX3M2A1600C9 kit, Win7 64, 8 Gigs (4 Gigs usable) problem

dokujaryu

Hey Corsair,

I've been buying your products for years and I ran into a problem recently.

I've been running an Asus P7P55D (regular) / i7 860 with a CMX4GX3M2A1600 all purchased from newegg.com for about two months with no issues. I've run it at both 1333 1.5v and 1600 1.65v.

I decided to upgrade to 8GB by purchasing another 4 gig CMX4GX3M2A1600 from newegg. After installing it I got the 8.00 GB installed 3.99 GB available issue. After some googling, some people were saying it was CPU seating, or a myriad of other problems. After reseating the CPU and RAM several times, I came across this thread at these forums. I followed the same procedure of putting each stick of all 4 one at a time in the blue slot furthest from the CPU and running the push button onboard memory check. One of the sticks in the new kit failed to post.

Because of the drama surrounding this particular hardware combination with CPU seating and special RAM clips etc, I'm just checking here as sort of a last resort before I send it back DOA to newegg.

One very strange peculiarity is that the first set I got about two months ago came in a normal 2 stick blister pack and say that they are batch number 10140664 ver7.1. The newer sticks I just got today say that they are batch number 10241676, but came in a 3 stick box and say they are ver 5.2.

Here's what I tried to make it work:

1. Updated BIOS

2. Reseated the processor many times

3. Reseated the all of the RAM many times

4. Moved the RAM around, tried only each pair individually in blue slots

5. Tried each stick individually and found that one of the sticks won't post with all BIOS settings set to AUTO

6. Tried upping the CPU voltages

7. Tried settings the RAM to 1600 / v1.65

8. Tried adding the sticks in one at a time from the far blue dimm

Nothing seems to work.

Thanks for your help!

Doku

Well, both kits are the same part number, the same speed, and the same CAS. They were bought 6 weeks apart from each other from the same supplier with the same part number. The kits, according to Corsair's memory selector, are compatible with this motherboard.

In any case, the new kit doesn't even work on it's own. If I just use the new kit in the blue RAM slots it says 4.00 GB installed (2.00 GB usable) and the BIOS ram check only shows 2048 as well.

I did check the BIOS PCI Overlay thing, and it's Enabled. When I disable it, Windows reports 8.00 GB Installed (3.49 available).

I'm pretty sure something is wrong with one of these sticks in the new kit, but I didn't know if there were some strange voltage settings or other voodoo to mess with since the P7P55D and 1600 DDR3 seems to have a strange background.

Clear the CMOS, install a single module in the proper slot for single module operation, and then temporarily disable Legacy USB Support in the BIOS. Enable the XMP profile and then test each individual module for 3-5 passes each using the latest version of Memtest, linked in the left side bar.

Also, this link may help.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85815

Clear the CMOS, install a single module in the proper slot for single module operation, and then temporarily disable Legacy USB Support in the BIOS. Enable the XMP profile and then test each individual module for 3-5 passes each using the latest version of Memtest, linked in the left side bar.

Also, this link may help.

http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=85815

So far, it won't post with just that stick in it at all. So, I can't run anything.

I have reseated the processor which seems to trigger a CMOS reset anyway. I'll try again with Legacy USB off.

• 5 weeks later...

Archived