Corsair Community

CGM2X2G800 can I use two at the same time?

Hello

I bought a CGM2X2G800 in February 2010 and it worked fine ever since (still does!) to go along with an existing 1GB that came with a new system.

In July 2010 I bought another CGM2X2G800 and it seemed to install OK; however, after anytime between 30 minutes and 4 hours the system starts crashing and everytime I reboot I get a different Stop Error (x04, x1A, x4E, xC2) and the operating system won't start. I am using 64-bit Windows 7 and when it does work it shows 4.00GB (3.25GB usable RAM).

When the system becomes unstable, it will reboot forever without going back into Windows 7 if my latest memory chip from July is installed on its own or with my old one. However, when I reboot with just my February memory chip, the system instantly becomes stable again and goes into Windows 7 just fine.

Are there any special settings needed to run two CGM2X2G800 chips at the same time on the motherboard or do I have a bad memory chip? It is very impractical to get up early in the morning and have to take the RAM out to use the computer! Does the fact that I bought the chips five months apart mean that they are unlikely to work together?

Regards

I would suggest testing them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

I have tried Memtest v4.10 and it did not find any errors. The motherboard manufacturer confirmed that this type of memory has not been confirmed as compatible so the system "may be unstable" if two chips are installed (it appears that most "confirmed" compatible chips are 512MB and 1GB and the few 2GB ones are brands I never heard of in the UK).

What I really don't understand it, when the system crashes, it will refuse to start windows using the newest chip in either of the two memory slots, but windows always starts fine with the older chip on its own. The utility that came with the motherboard shows 1.81 volts on the memory slot, which looks about OK. Even stranger, the same "problem" chip works fine on another motherboard running Fedora Linux.

The serial number of the older chip starts 6737 and the one for the newer chip starts 7017. Are there any differences in the memory voltage settings that I should be making?

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but just because the modules are not on their QVL list does not mean they are not compatible, not to mention the QVL list was done when the MB was in production and never looked at again and when that MB was in production 1.0 Gig modules were not available. So I am sorry but that does not mean much, I would suggest testing them on another system and go from there.

I am sorry but just because the modules are not on their QVL list does not mean they are not compatible, not to mention the QVL list was done when the MB was in production and never looked at again and when that MB was in production 1.0 Gig modules were not available. So I am sorry but that does not mean much, I would suggest testing them on another system and go from there.

I agree. I've now tested both of them together on my Linux system and they work just fine. I concluded that to get my Windows 7 system to 4GB (well, 3.25GB) I would have to buy a matched Corsair 2GB+2GB pair instead of one at a time. For the time being I will keep both computers with one 2GB and one 1GB chip each until 2GB prices drop a bit again.

• Corsair Employees
That is a generic error and may not be the memory but I would not suggest mixing modules as you have found it is hit and miss. I would try the system with just our modules installed and then go to BIOS setup and load setup defaults and try it again. If that does not work you can request an RMA on the two modules and get them both replaced.

I may have to do that (the error only happens if both modules are installed; the first module never causes an error and happily mixes with anything else!) but not sure yet.

One more thing to ask; on the BIOS it is not possible to set the memory to 5-5-5-18 as it only goes up to 15. Is this likely to be a factor? I changed it to 5-5-5-Auto and also dropped the memory speed in the BIOS to 667 instead of 800 to see if that brings any stability with both modules in.

The system is a never overclocked.

MemoryData.jpg.81011d05c6c811a930823021adc1d7d3.jpg

I guess in theory the motherboard does let the memory work at 5-5-5-18 but not for long.

I took the chip back to the computer shop and they exchanged it for another brand new one; I now have a stable system. My conclusion is that the faulty chip could not handle 800MHz for some reason and only worked at 667MHz. The new one works fine with my older one at 800MHz and my Aero score went up by 0.1 as well.

Archived