Corsair Community

EMI from Powersupply Cable

xdarkfluxx

I have a Corsair HX-1000 psu and since I built my computer almost a year ago I've noticed buzzing noise from headphones connected to my front audio panel. At first I thought it was my on board sound card so I bought a dedicated sound card (HT Omega Striker 7.1) however I still had the buzzing noise. Then I thought it was the front audio panel, so I had that replaced.

Then I realized that the front audio panel cable goes right above the power supply and power supply cables, also my sound card sits right above the power supply. With my case open I can put some of the power supply cables outside of the case and then the buzzing noise stops. So the power supply cables seem to be the source of my problems. I am using the standard power supply cables that came with the power supply.

I want to know if anyone else has this issue and ways I can possibly fix this or if this is a defect with my power supply.

• Corsair Employees
Its hard to say for sure that the PSU is defective, but if all else fails we can try replacing it for you. Its equally likely that the sound card or the cable leading to your front ports could have insufficient EMI shielding. I would test the PSU in a different system if possible to see if you can duplicate the same issues, and if so, then please Request an RMA.

Its hard to say for sure that the PSU is defective, but if all else fails we can try replacing it for you. Its equally likely that the sound card or the cable leading to your front ports could have insufficient EMI shielding. I would test the PSU in a different system if possible to see if you can duplicate the same issues, and if so, then please Request an RMA.

I have tried three sound cards (1 integrated, 2 dedicated), also I replaced the cable leading to the front panel when I replaced the front panel.

I want to know though if it is normal to get EMI from the power cables.

• Corsair Employees
It is not normal, so I would test it in a different system just to make sure that there is not any other components contributing to the buzzing. If all else fails then we can definitely try a replacement.

Archived