Corsair Community

Randome restart right after Post and before Windows is installed

smart_boy00

Posted:6/30/2010 11:06:00 PM # 1

I just finished putting my new build together last night and I crossed my fingers and hit the power button for the first time, The system started fine. But as I was in the bios and checking to make sure everything was how it should be, the system restarted by itself.

Long story short, I have it narrowed down to the motherboard, memory, or PSU.

After post the system sees everything I have installed, with exception to putting my memory to 1066mhz and not 1600mhz everything seems to be ok. I’m not to worried about the timing as 80 % of the time you build a system the memory needs to be configured manually anyways.

Here are my system specs:

Motherboard: ASUS P6X58D-E

CPU: i7 930

Memory: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600

Video card: SAPPHIRE 100290SR Radeon HD 5870

PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W

Hard Drives: (two in raid 0) WD 1TB SATA 6.0Gb/s

I tested all the memory one by one in every slot on single channel mode and all three together. They are in the correct slots when all three are together (blue slots). They all have the same result, the system will power on and then every one or two minutes it will restart.

When it first turns on, the memory light is solid for a second then goes off. If I push the memory button on the motherboard the system will restart then the memory light will flash once or twice then the system starts and the memory is at 1066 again. If I change the MHz to 1600mhz it will save my settings but then it does not seem to effect how much the system reboots.

After staying up till 3 am on Tuesday trying to troubleshoot this PC I am turning to the forums for help. I have seen several posts about Asus motherboards not working with some Corsair PSU's. My next step after work is to swap out my other computers ABS 900Watt PSU that I have had for 3 years (working fine) and try it in this new build.

Any other input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Josh Radginski

Archived