Corsair Community

Nova V32 or Reactor R60?

sej7278

I'm looking at buying a SSD drive as I'm fed up with hard disk failures. I'm only looking for a boot drive, so small size is no problem - my current Linux install comes to about 15Gb.

I was just about to buy a Nova, but there seems to be naff all support on this forum or the main Corsair website for them - are they very old tech or something? I'm not interested in spending 2-3 times as much on an P/X series.

I found the Reactor offered much better performance and twice the cache+capacity for only about a tenner more, so it seemed an easy decision, until I looked on this forum, and it looks like frankly the biggest pile of excrement ever, judging from all the problem reports!

Is this still the case, or have the issues been fixed with firmware upgrades and such (i'm a bit shocked to see you have to nuke your entire OS to upgrade firmware or restore performance!)

I noticed the Reactors use JMicron chips, which I've heard are rubbish and the Intel chipset of the Nova is much better, which seems to concur with my opinion of their PC motherboard disk/network controllers.

So is it safe to buy a Reactor these days or do I have to pay almost the same price for a Nova with less capacity, cache and speed?

• Corsair Employees

With either drive you should not have any problems, but the Nova series was announced not to long ago with a rebate

FREMONT, California — June 17, 2010 — Corsair®, a worldwide designer and supplier of high-performance components to the PC gaming hardware market, today announced a new milestone in the affordability of Corsair Solid State Drives. For a limited time, Corsair's award-winning Nova Series SSDs are available for as little as $69.99 after mail-in rebate.

So I am a little confused why you think its more expensive then reactor.

the Nova series was announced not to long ago with a rebate

So I am a little confused why you think its more expensive then reactor.

i'm in england, and the supplier i was going to buy from had the nova for 79ukp and the reactor for 89ukp, but now the reactor has gone up to 125ukp for some reason.

the reactor was never cheaper, but at only 10ukp difference it seemed like a great bargain, i guess that's why the retailer changed the price!

i usually go corsair for ram/coolers but there's just too many problems threads on here about the r60 and nothing at all about the v32, so i think i'm going to look around.

• Corsair Employees
The Nova 32 Gig was just released but I dont think you will have any problems with either one. Just keep in mind we are selling a large volume of SSD's that are 60-64 Gig and 120-128 GIG so its not uncommon for more people to have problems with them and most are just configuration questions.

Archived