Corsair Community

Power Supply Overheating?

PhilDog

Since the summer has graced us with its presence, I have been experiencing frequent crashes whilst gaming. These usually consist of a black screen/game freeze then the computer rebooting. I have checked all my temps whilst playing and they all are well under safe operating temps. This only leaves me to think that it is possibly the power supply overheating? These crashes usually happen after gaming for about 3 hours or so.

Also I was wondering if my power supply fan was working correctly. It should be blowing air out of the back of the case but when I put my hand there I can barely feel any air movement. Although when I feel above the fan inside the case it seems to be blowing air into the case rather than sucking it in. I checked that it was spinning the right way and was installed properly and It all seemed fine, It just seemed to be not doing its job properly. Is this anything to do with that clear piece of plastic that is inside blocking the air flow?

Any help would be great, cheers.

• Corsair Employees
To see if you are having a heat related problem I would set up a floor fan to blow into the case (specifically the PSU area) and see if you can still cause the same issues. The PSU is rated to deliver its full power up to ambient temperatures of 50 degrees Celsius, so generally it can withstand more heat than most other components. To see if the fan is blowing the right direction hold a piece of paper under the fan and see if it sucks the paper up and "sticks" to the PSU.

Archived