Corsair Community

H50 on Asus MB M4A79XTD-EVO (AM3)

Redwagon

O.K.--Just about every video or post I see regarding the H50 cooler shows or talks about an INTEL installation. After removing the original HS/Fan bracket from the top of my MB, there is a metal plate that is on the bottom side of the MB.

My question is--Showld this metal plate stay on the MB and just install the AMD H50 cooler bracket over it. Or does that old metal plate get removed and discarded ??

Why hasn't someone shown in the many videos of how to install the H50 cooler, show one for an AMD installation ??? Would be nice.

redwagon...

94866546_MetalPlateBottomSideofMB.thumb.jpg.4587322426a96c34f11d18ed4130e12c.jpg

SWAG.

If that metal plate was there for the sole purpose of holding on to your previous heatsink, then it would appear that it is no longer needed and will just get in the way of the H50 plastic backplate bracket.

If the metal plate isn't presently holding anything on to your MB, then it would appear that it is no longer needed ...

If you remove the backplate because it no longer serves a useful purpose, than those same mounting through holes on your MB should match up with your H50 AMD plastic backplate bracket.

The metal plate on the back of your board can be used to hold the H50 to the motherboard, the one included can "also" be used but it's just easier and less painful to use the one already on the motherboard (as long as it fits).

If the Cooler still wiggles loose even after tightening the screws, try the H50 backplate, but i stuck with the one that came with the motherboard, works fine.

The metal plate on the back of your board can be used to hold the H50 to the motherboard, the one included can "also" be used but it's just easier and less painful to use the one already on the motherboard (as long as it fits).

If the Cooler still wiggles loose even after tightening the screws, try the H50 backplate, but i stuck with the one that came with the motherboard, works fine.

The H50 is supposed to be delivered sometime this week, so I'll have to wait and see if the original metal one is about the same thinkness as the plastic one that come with the H50.

The original Metal one does not hold anything to the MB except the original HS/Fan bracket so it's probably not needed. HOWEVER, the metal one has inserts that are part of the plate and also have threads for the original screws (screws screw in from the top of the MB bracket and down into the threads of the metal plate). Not sure if that's how the plastic H50 plate works or not. Have to wait and see I guess.

Thanks to all that have replied to my post. much appreciated.

redwagon...

The H50 arrived today. For the particular MB I am using, the original metal plate will work with the H50 to pump bracket. One other problem but will start another thread for that--Please take note:

Frank...

Archived