Corsair Community

Fitting radiator+fans+shrouds in the 700/800D

Odaik

Hello,

I'm looking at purchasing one of the higher end Corsair Obsidian cases, and have a question regarding the space available at the top of the case.

I have a TFC Xchanger 360 radiator, 3 25mm thick fans, and 3 TFC Xtender fan shrouds to be used between the fans and radiator.

I know there are plenty of people mounting radiators in the roof of the case no problem, but as the TFC rad is a little thicker than most other radiators and I also wish to use the fan shrouds, will there be enough space to mount this all internally?

If I cannot fit everything internally, what other options would I have? I thought about maybe placing the radiator on top of the case (outside), and screwing it all into position with the fan+shroud underneath the roof of the case, but was concerned that the mesh top of the case would restrict airflow into the radiator, creating dead spots due to the radiator being right on top of the mesh.

Here is an illustration of what I mean:

http://i185.photobucket.com/albums/x255/Odaik/Untitled-34.png

Something else that has been bugging me too is the sheer weight of the thing. When the radiator is filled with fluid, and with the fans/shrouds installed, it can be very heavy indeed. Will 12 M3 screws in the roof be able to hold the radiator up (assuming the assembly will fit 100% internally to begin with...)? I know it's probably a silly question, but I haven't got a clue and it's better to be safe than sorry. :D

• Corsair Employees
The distance between the top of the case and the mounting screws for the motherboard is 4.5 inches. You should have no problem mounting a radiator on the top (inside or outside) of the case and securing it with the 12 M3 screws.

Thanks for that.

It appears that I will not be able to mount the whole thing inside the case. It comes out at almost 5 inches.

As a result, I will probably end up setting it up like in the illustration. Would the mesh roof between the fans+shrouds and the radiator affect air flow significantly?

• Corsair Employees
As a result, I will probably end up setting it up like in the illustration. Would the mesh roof between the fans+shrouds and the radiator affect air flow significantly?

Difficult to speculate without some real world testing. I would not suspect that the airflow would be hindered significantly, but since I have not tested it I can not be certain.

Archived