Corsair Community

my x32 raid 0

i recently brought a new x32 to go with the one i already had for a raid 0 setup. i tested the drive when it arrived and it was at its speeds. i used parted magic to secure erase my other drive and then proceeded to install the raid and windows 7.

on the raid setup i set it to stripped and 128k and set the disks i was using, i didnt have an option to set the 32k part on a quick format. i just left this and went on to install windows 7.

since setting up the raid i installed atto and these were the results

are these right???

Untitled.thumb.png.a04d4d1e695872ab0337a53fe2f62320.png

• Corsair Employees
That is about normal depending on the controller but with Windows 7 you only need to set the stripe to 128K on your RAID controller and Windows 7 will format properly, but you can test it either way I would suggest using Accronis to make an image then format with 4K allocation to test the difference.

• Corsair Employees
The stripe is set to 128k in the raid setup and then when you format in Disk Manager it will give the option for default allocation or you can specify I would just use the default and then test it as a second HDD in your system and see how it performs.

• 2 weeks later...

i went onto nzero's thread link and seen that he said to run chkdsk to show what allocation i have and it says its on 4028 this has to be wrong. just to get me up2 speed and sorry 4 bein a noob 4 askin but shall i

clone my ssd to a spare drive,

delete the raid and secure erase the disks,

setup the raid as 128k stripe and let it finish,

then boot into windows and format the raid as 32k,

then restart and install windows 7 on the raid.

thanks for your help ramguy and nzero

edit: i think im dumb i get it now, instead of just clicking install on windows 7 like ive been doing and letting it do it itself lol format it> (so dumb)

Yeah, all you need to do is have the drives cleaned, in RAID, and then fire up Win7 setup.

Partition the drives at the screen (it'll pop up about creating the system reserved partition). Then hit Shift+F10 to open a command prompt and follow those instructions. Should be golden after that.

52188159 KB total disk space.

20512744 KB in 56054 files.

43552 KB in 15789 indexes.

0 KB in bad sectors.

180611 KB in use by the system.

65536 KB occupied by the log file.

31451252 KB available on disk.

:!: 4096 bytes in each allocation unit. :!:

13047039 total allocation units on disk.

7862813 allocation units available on disk.

i ran this before i do my reinstall it is the part marked 4096 that should be 32k

i formatted my raid today and reset it at 128k stripe and 32k allocation using the link aboves info. i did struggle with it and realised i didint have to put override at the end, dont know why.

anyway my results when i did a install at 128k and let windows do the allocation were far better than that of the 32k allocation.

i guess it will teach me lol and i have to say ram-guy was right and thankyou to him, should have listened instead looking on other sites but hey you only learn by trying.

anyway guys thanks for your help

Archived