Corsair Community

PSU problem - maybe

AKACyrano

New member so go easy on me. A brief rundown on me, I work as a computer tech at a school system and hope I know my way around a machine. The problem, machine in specs is what I use at home for general work. PSU died after recent storm. Bought a 400CX to replace other brand no longer working. Installed and it will light the power indicator on motherboard and vid card fan will start to spin then nothing. Unplug reconnect same etc..

Have tried just vid card and connections to motherboard same result. Pull PSU from machine and connect to tester with fan connected, fires right up. Install another PSU that I have, can't get case closed with it but machine boots and runs normally.

Really want to use this Corsair PSU that was just purchased, any ideas.

OK boys and girls here is an update. As I had seen something like this before I have pulled an HP machine that I have with a 24 pin main connector and after disconnecting everything (both power connectors from board, hdd and dvd/cdrw) have connected the 400CX to this machine and it is working fine.

I have seen that if the 24 pin or the 4/8 pin connectors don't make complete contact when plugged into their sockets you will get the results I have experienced.

Will try again with the Dell machine and try to tighten up the pin connectors to see if that fixes it. Look for an update.

• Corsair Employees
The Dell may have a proprietary power connection.

I would agree that it sounds like one of your systems is not designed to run with standard ATX PSUs. The spec that our PSUs all meet is ATX12v 2.01 or newer. If you can find out what type of power spec the system is designed to run with then you should know for sure if its a compatibility issue.

Archived