Corsair Community

R60.. Firmware or hardware issues?

mjm383

• Corsair Employees

Have you tried the drive directly connected to the MB with out the enclosure?

And there have been a few who have reported this issue but there is no information to suggest it is firmware related at this time.

• Corsair Employees
Yes i have connected the drive without the bracket. not sure where you are going with ref to directly connecting the drive?

the drive is connected via the SATA cable not USB.

A: To put it another way, does the enclosure connect to the drive and then the S-ATA Cable to the MB or does it just hold the drive and the drive is still directly connected to the MB.

what have you found out from others ref this issue of the drive not being found?

A; We have not been able to duplicate the problem in the lab but we are still testing, we have had a few users who had this issue to send the drives back but most work with out problems. About 30% returned were failing drives and before you ask the return rate is less that 2%.

• Corsair Employees

You are not reading what I posted properly. the return rate is less that 2% and out of that 2%; 30% are failing drives the 70% test with no trouble found.

As I stated we are looking into the problem and will post an update as soon as we have one, but the only thing we can try at this point is to replace the drive if you like.

Ram Guy,

I have been experiencing the same issues with my R60, It only is recognized on one sata port not the primary one on my board, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo. I have successfully installed windows 7 on the drive now in sata port 3. My other SSD Kingston 64GB V II installed in the correct sata port no problem. So now i have the drive functioning just not in the sata port Id like, also I have read write issues with the drive, running your recommended benchmark programs, my read and write are both around 140MB/s - 110MB/s

that’s no where near the maximums (I realize maximums are just that but...)stated in the specs, also i have noticed the drive does not perform nearly as fast as my Kingston V II Drive in real world application i.e. Boot times, Application loading etc.. Do i Have a Bunk Drive? There seems to be no support for the drive aside from returning it RMA? is there no trouble shooting?

I bought mine from NCIX on June 5th 2010. Can you suggest any recourse aside from RMA? I mean it works just not as specified in the specs. any help would be awesome.

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees

I have posted this previously about restoring drive performance, have you tried to secure erase the drive?

I would suggest using Accronis to make and image of the drive (if you are using Windows) then use Parted magic to Wipe the drive under tools select Erase Disk and Secure Erase and then, install the drive on the system you will be using it as a second HDD and format it with the QUICK Option Only and 4k Allocation then test it with Atto again to be sure its running properly then delete the partition and image the drive back to its original image and you are done.

Thanks for the reply, I will try this method (Accronis Image the drive where to my storage drive? and use my storage drive as the OS to quick format?)

also wouldnt Restoring drive performance indicate there was performance to begin with?

Sorry for the Noob questions, but i had a terrible time installing this drive to begin with as per the original posters issues.

Can you answer the sata port issue?

Ive read alot of issues regarding the R60, might I be better off returning it.

Thanks again

• Corsair Employees
Can you answer the sata port issue?

That is more then likely the MB BIOS and not the drive it self, try the drive connected by it self with no other drives connected.

Ive read alot of issues regarding the R60, might I be better off returning it.

This drive is sold in large numbers so most do not have problems so no I think you would have close to the same results with any drive you use. But you are welcome to do what you like!

Basically if this is the Boot drive then use another HDD to image the drive to then use Parted Magic to secure erase the drive then with this drive as a second HDD in the system use Disk manager to Quick format with 4K Allocation then then test it with ATTO to see if the performance is what it should be then you can image the drive back but delete the partition before you run the image software.

Thanks. I do have another SSD already loaded for this particular PC, so i can run that instance of windows to perform the quick format.

I guess im just a little disappointed that this drive out of the box didn’t perform as well as other cheaper Value SSD's and had some serious issues being recognized by my system (not working in certain sata ports, this is not a Bios issue as 2 other SSD manufactures drives were no problem to detect, or install in any of the sata ports just the Corsair R60) I just expected more from corsair being the company they are, leading the way in performance enthusiast components.

I will try this when i get home, still at work. Im leary about using Accronis though either im slow or my copy doenst work the way it should, Ive imaged a few disks and could not get the image to boot after the copy. Spent some serious time on forums and google (aka Lougle HTTM) researching. I will update once ive been able to secure erase the drive and test it.

Archived