Corsair Community

HX850 just died --- this is my second one in 7 months!!!

Burner27

I was just surfing and all of the sudden my PC shutdown. Very unusual. I tried powering it back up and all my system would do was power up for not even half a second and then shutdown again. I disconnected everything but the bare essentials (Mobo/Ram/Video) and tried again. Same thing.

I tried the paperclip test and the fan I had hooked up to it spun for a second then shutdown. I think it is safe to say it is dead. I bought my first HX850 in Dec 2009 and had to RMA it because of a very loud buzzing sound. Now this one is dead!!!

I already submitted my RMA and have my case #, but I am not happy about this. RAMGUY or YELLOWBEARD, I would like to ask for your assistance with this, please.

Thank you

GAH!!! I am at work and can't access my email!!! I will get it to you as soon as i get home.

Thanks for the help.

Obscure question - I believe i may have gotten one of the first of these PSUs when they came off the line. Have there been any revisions since December 2009?

RAMGUY-

No need to approve, i have already spoken to customer service and they are advanced replacing mine.

Thanks for your help.

Could you answer my question regarding different revisions of the HX850? Are there any?

• Corsair Employees
There are no official revisions that have been made to resolve any issues with the unit. The bill of materials can vary slightly over the course of manufacturing an electronic component, and minor revisions are quite common in the world of electronics. But the functionality, reliability, and advertised features of the HX850 have remained the same since its release.

• Corsair Employees
RAMGUY-

From the problem I described in my post, is there any likelihood that I damaged any of the parts in my PC?

It would be unlikely. The PSU would more likely detect a problem and shut itself down before any damage could occur. The motherboard also has protection measures which would prevent other components from being damaged.

RAMGUY-

One more question. I currently have my PC set to SLEEP after 30 minutes. I may come back to my machine 4 or 5 times daily which means bringing it out of sleep mode by touching the keyboard or mouse. Do you see any issues with doing this? It shouldn't harm the PSU by going into sleep mode right?

Thanks

Archived