Corsair Community

TX750W working on 20- but not 24-pin MB!

larchen

Hi!

After 5 days working fine my (sons) monitor suddenly went black, then on for a second an then the computer turned itself off and wouldn´t start again.

When pushing the power button the led lights and fans blink/turn very shortly and then nothing more happens.

Took out the TX750 and the PSU fan and my test fan ran ok when I made the paperclip test.

While running this way I measured the voltages on the 24-pin-, the 2x4 pin EPS- and the three 8-pin PCI-E-connectors. I also tested all ground-pins.

Everything looked ok.

I don't know if it matters but when measuring over different voltages "Plus"-sides (= not to ground) I got some strange readings like -1.75V, -8,5V, +15V.

Connected only the TX750 24-pin ATX-connector, 4-pin EPS-connector and my test fan to an older computer.

Same behaviour, leds/fans blinking/turning shortly when pushing the power button.

Removed the 4-pin EPS-connector, still the same behaviour.

Connected only the TX750 20-pin ATX-connector and my test fan to an even older computer.

The PSU fan and my test fan ran fine! :!:

1: Can anyone tell/explain anything about my problem from my test results.

I guess the TX750 is broken and needs to be replaced.

Also,

2: How/what does TX750:s different voltage protections work/do?

3: Can other parts like MB, graphic cards, RAM, HD break the TX750?

4: Is there some common reasons for PSU:s to fail? If so, which are they?

Grateful for help and information!

Kind regards,

:confused: Lars Archenholtz

Well, as I wrote, I have already tested the TX750 on two 24-pin MB and on one 20-pin MB.

Before the TX750 broke it worked on both of the 24-pin MB:s.

I´m going to try with another TX750 when I get a replacement.

Anyone got any idea why my TX750 works on 20-pin and with a paperclip but not on 24-pin MB:s?

Anyone got any answer for any of my other questions?

/Lars

• Corsair Employees

1: Can anyone tell/explain anything about my problem from my test results.

I guess the TX750 is broken and needs to be replaced.

When you say you measured strange voltages what were you using to test with?

Also,

2: How/what does TX750:s different voltage protections work/do?

Essentially, the PSU will turn itself off if either the voltage the PSU is converting from your wall goes out of spec, or if the PSU detects a component in the system that is requesting an amount of voltage that is out of spec.

3: Can other parts like MB, graphic cards, RAM, HD break the TX750?

If they go out of spec then they can trigger the voltage protection mentioned above.

4: Is there some common reasons for PSU:s to fail? If so, which are they?

It is not common for PSUs to fail. When they do fail, it can be difficult to know why, but unless you plugged a power connector into a device improperly, there is usually no risk of your components being damaged. The protection circuits in the PSU and on the motherboard should detect a problem and shut the system down before anything bad can happen.

The fact that you only have problems when using the 24-pin and everything seems to be fine with just the 20-pin would tell me that there could be a short on either the board or the PSU. I would test the PSU in a different system and if it does the same thing then lets get it replaced.

Request an RMA

When you say you measured strange voltages what were you using to test with?

I used a very basic digital voltmeter

Essentially, the PSU will turn itself off if either the voltage the PSU is converting from your wall goes out of spec, or if the PSU detects a component in the system that is requesting an amount of voltage that is out of spec.

After correcting the problem that triggered the voltage protection would the PSU work again by just turning it on again?

...unless you plugged a power connector into a device improperly, there is usually no risk of your components being damaged.

No risk of my components getting damaged by the PSU you mean?

I would test the PSU in a different system and if it does the same thing then lets get it replaced.

I´ve already tested it in two other systems, one 24-pin and one 20-pin so I´m going to try with a replacement PSU.

Thanks a lot for helping me! :biggrin:

• Corsair Employees

After correcting the problem that triggered the voltage protection would the PSU work again by just turning it on again?

If the voltage protection is triggered then the unit would shut down. You should be able to turn the PSU back on without any problem, but if the voltage protection is triggered again then the PSU will shut down again.

No risk of my components getting damaged by the PSU you mean?

Yes

Thanks a lot for helping me! :biggrin:

No problem at all, if the PSU looks like it may be causing the problems then please Request an RMA and we will be happy to replace it for you.

I exchanged the broken TX750 for a new one at my retailer.

It worked in both my 24-pin ATX systems and have been running a couple of hours now without any problems.

When starting up the first time I got "CMOS Checksum Bad Error" but after resetting the bios to default it hasn´t shown at boot-up anymore.

I guess the "CMOS Checksum Bad Error" just was a normal consequense of the system closing down abruptly when the first PSU failed so I shouldn´t be alarmed, right?

I think your explanation of how the Voltage Protection works should be in the manual or at least be put up as a sticky and/or in the FAQ.

I´m totally amazed over your super great support. I´ve read many posts and your answers are always clear, patient and in a nice tone. This is the kind of support others should learn from.

I hope my system keeps working now.

Thanks again. It´s been a great help getting quick answers to my questions.

Kind regards,

Lars

• Corsair Employees
It is not uncommon to get that CMOS checksum error after experiencing a hardware problem. It sounds like the new PSU resolved the issues so I wouldn't worry about it unless it starts coming up consistently. Thanks for the compliments and please let us know if you have any more problems!

Archived