Corsair Community

Unstable system

iannickb

Hi, I bought a new system recently and I am having stability problems.

My motherboard is not listed in the system configurator.

Everything in the BIOS is set to Auto and everything seems to be detected right (9-9-9-24 1333).

The only thing different is that my MB won't let me set the DDR3 voltage to 1.5v.. default is 1.65v.

If I run Memtest86+ v4.00, I get multiples (in the thousands) errors for tests 5, 6, 7 and 8.

I tried to test memory modules individually, but no errors.

Any help for settings? Could it be bad RAM.

Thanks

if the sticks test ok 1 at a time it may just be a weak memory controller on the CPU itself.

how does it do with just 2 sticks in the appropriate slots? its less of a load on the memory controller and if memtest passes with just 2 sticks it may just be the CPU holding you back.

what are the rest of your voltages? cpu/nb etc,,?

Thanks for the quick reply Synthohol, your advise might be right.. but how to I fix a weak memory controller on the CPU?

All the voltages are on auto and I can't see the detected voltage.

The only one I see is:

Normal CPU VCore = 1.3v

Thanks

I have the same motherboard, and almost the same memory (4G kit instead of 8G), and almost the same processor (955).

I also have stability issues (see my post).

As you can see, my system is stable once running, but it won't boot properly into Windows when the system has been turned off for a while. What kind of stability issues do you have?

You could try upping the CPU/NB voltage (AFAIK that's the memory controller's voltage), but it didn't work for me..

I am running Ubuntu Server 10.04 64bit with minimal xinit for graphics. The system runs fine in terminal mode, but as soon as the graphics card needs more power, the system freezes. It does the same with a Ubuntu Live CD.

I have been runnig with 4gig of ram for a little with no problem. I will try the other 4gig and see what happens.

I will try to up the voltages for the CPU and the NB.

Thanks for the advice.

Another thing I just found out, which may be helpful to you: it seems the Phenom II CPU (particularly stepping 2, revision RB-C2) memory controller is known by AMD to have a stability issue with more than 1 DIMM on a channel. So, apparently, the memory controller is not able to work with 4 DIMMs @ 1333MHz. One user simply down-clocked to 1066Mhz and it worked.

Read this on the GSk*ll forum..

All the tests that I have done have been unganged. It is the default and it says in the BIOS that it gives better performances.

I tried ganged with Automatic settings with no luck. I will try ganged with different voltage settings.

Archived