Corsair Community

Recovering data from a dead X-128

AdrianP

My X-128 has died and I am wondering if it is possible to get data off the drive even though the computer does not recognise it anymore? My backup is not as up to date as I would like and thankfully it was mostly just software installations on the drive, but my Outlook data was also there. I think I might only be after the PST file, but is is possible for a data reocvery company to do this?

If you cannot access the drive at all - either from your own system or another - then a data recovery company would be able to advise you whether they can recover the data or not. The main issue for you would be one of cost over the value you place on the information in your PST file - data recovery companies are not cheap to use so you might want to think about cutting your losses.

As per usual the main point here would be to ensure that everyone should regularly backup your important and vital data - external hard drives are dirt cheap and there are a multitude of software titles out there that will happily work away in the background backing up whatever you need to keep safe without any intervention from the user.

Personally I don't trust any medium for storage 100% which is why I replace my spinning hard drives every year; might sound like overkill, but I'd rather spend a few quid on a new HDD than risk my files and perhaps have to pay 100's to recover it.

Best of luck with your mission Adrian and I hope it works out for you ;-)

• Corsair Employees
I would agree with DavyC he has made some sound suggestions and what I would suggest. But you might try moving the drive to another system even an older S-ATA1 system will sometimes let you see the drive and get the data from it.

Archived