Corsair Community

Corsair Flash Voyager 32GB as an Xbox 360 memory unit

manningr83

The Xbox 360 now supports using a USB flash drive as a memory unit....however

When configuring my Corsair Flash Voyager 32GB the Xbox 360 reports:

"Your device failed the data loss test and can't be configured"

I have tried full reformatting, different file systems FAT, FAT32 and NTFS and always the same error.

I have been able to get an old sandisk cruzer 1GB to work correctly which is really annoying as I love the corsair but am now worried why this test is flagging a data loss error.

Has anyone encountered this error before or has any idea on how to resolve it.

• Corsair Employees

No our flash drives are not advertised to work with these type of devices, and we will normally use a Hub based controller which most of these types of devices will not work through a USB HUB and if not will not support our flash drives.

However, you can try and use the SD-CARD Organization format utility and see if the drive will work on your X-Box.

Thanks for the quick response and info on the format utility.

I've unfortunately already tried the SD-CARD Organization method and its still reporting the data loss error.

As you mentioned its more likely to be the way the Xbox 360 interfaces with the Flash Voyager, however Ive just tried using the Flash Voyager GT 16GB and and a new Voyager GTR 32GB (arrived in the post today, very nice) and they both work perfectly.

Shame if this is an issue with just the blue variant of the Voyager. I will try and test another standard blue Flash Voyager as I don't want to drive away sales from an otherwise excellent device.

Of course it also might actually be faulty are there any other tools that can detect data loss or is it more likely to be Microsoft false error detection.

Thanks for your help.

• 6 months later...

Sorry to bring up an slightly old thread but, the topic is the same as what Im looking for...

After recently buying the new xbox slim 4GB console.. I need a hard drive but cannot afford the £50 price tag on the 250GB HDD.

I have been looking about buying a 16GB Pen Drive as a temporary solution.

The 16GB Corsair Flash Voyager GT came up as the fastest drive for a good price.

I just want to confirm that this can be used to install and play games from the USB Drive?

Thanks David

I just want to confirm that this can be used to install and play games from the USB Drive?
Already answered.

No our flash drives are not advertised to work with these type of devices, and we will normally use a Hub based controller which most of these types of devices will not work through a USB HUB and if not will not support our flash drives.

Yea not advertised but some models will work with the 360 'manningr83' said the Voyager failed teh data loss test but the Voyager GT worked and managed to configure with the xbox, but I have an 8GB USB PenDrive and I got it configured but it wont allow games to be stored on it :sigh!:

I checked with my other older xbox360 and the game installed is only 6.4GB

As the Voyager was configured, being 16GB in size I was wondering if its possible to install games onto it...

...however Ive just tried using the Flash Voyager GT 16GB and and a new Voyager GTR 32GB... and they both work perfectly

For ~£24~ I may just buy one as even if it doesn't work, It'll replace my old cheap/slow 8GB and hold twice as much

You can't just use any USB memory stick on the 360 for use as a Memory Unit for save games etc.

USB sticks have to meet a certain Read/Write speed requirement in order to be used for such things. I'm assuming it for compatibility because games would expect to read/write at the lowest common denominator, which I assume would be the Xbox 360's DVD drive speed.

You should be able to install "retail disc based" games on USB sticks. I'm pretty sure I did it at one point when I got my stick, just to test it out, though it was a while ago.

I have a Voyager GTR 32GB, 16.5GB (16.0GB Data, 0.5GB System) dedicated for the Xbox, and the rest for music/videos/pics, that the Xbox has no problem accessing, even though it's still being used for my saves at the same time.

What exactly happens when you try to install the game on USB, and what game is it, if you don't mind me asking?

You can't just use any USB memory stick on the 360 for use as a Memory Unit for save games etc.

USB sticks have to meet a certain Read/Write speed requirement in order to be used for such things. I'm assuming it for compatibility because games would expect to read/write at the lowest common denominator, which I assume would be the Xbox 360's DVD drive speed.

You should be able to install "retail disc based" games on USB sticks. I'm pretty sure I did it at one point when I got my stick, just to test it out, though it was a while ago.

I have a Voyager GTR 32GB, 16.5GB (16.0GB Data, 0.5GB System) dedicated for the Xbox, and the rest for music/videos/pics, that the Xbox has no problem accessing, even though it's still being used for my saves at the same time.

What exactly happens when you try to install the game on USB, and what game is it, if you don't mind me asking?

I know you can't use just any one, that's why I was asking about the Voyager GT as it has good reviews about its speeds, and isn't exactly that expensive.

I can't remember the error, I'll try again and see what it says..

The game is COD: Black Ops.. I hate running it from the disk all day, and using a HDD or USB Drive should speed loading up a little aswell as keep it quiet..

I'll just buy the GT as even if it doesn't perform well with the xbox, It will still replace my old 8GB stick I use for everyday data..

I just tried, and had no problems installing and running Black Ops off my 32GB GTR USB stick.

Since "manningr83" said his 16GB GT worked fine on his 360, and I can install games on my stick (even though it's a different faster stick), I assume you should be okay with getting a GT for your 360.

I hope this helps some what.

Side note;

My Black Ops was 6.9GB installed. Was the 6.4GB you mentioned Black Ops or something else? just curious.

Archived