Corsair Community

Extreme X256 fails to initialise in a Thinkpad W510

Davidvf

I purchased two (one for production & one for backup) Corsair Extreme X256 for my Lenovo ThinkPad. The production SSD worked faultlessly for about 2 1/2 months and then one morning during Post I got the dreaded Error 2100 (hard disk initialisation failure). I turned off the laptop, tried to reboot and this time it started without a problem. Things were great for about a week or so and then again I got the Error 2100 at Post which was again resolved by turning off the laptop & rebooting. Over the course of about three weeks this problem went from intermittent to daily (in fact it would only happen during the first boot up of the day, never again during that day would have this problem irrespective of how many times I rebooted the laptop).

Being almost certain that the SSD was failing I imaged the backup SSD (which is identical in all regards) and low behold, I still had the same problem. Lenovo did the right thing and did a motherboard replacement which unfortunately do not change the situation.

Of course Lenovo are now saying that the issue must be with the SSD's as there is nothing really else that they can change after swapping out the entire motherboard. From my side, it appears crazy that two identical SSD's could exhibit the same problem (despite the fact that the first SST operated faultlessly for 2 1/2 months).

So to recap:

• Original SSD worked faultlessly 2 1/2 months than exhibited intermittent errors followed by daily errors
  • Replacing with an identical (but new) SSD did not resolve the problem
  • Replacing the entire motherboard did not resolve the problem
  • The failure to initialise hard disk error happens every single morning; but on second attempt the laptop always boots
  • Irrespective of how many times after the initial daily problem the laptop is rebooted I never experience a repeat the problem (until the following day).

Both Lenovo and myself are really struggling to isolate this problem. It would be great if someone on the forum (either within Corsair or user) could put forward some suggestions that may help us identify and ultimately resolve this issue.

Thanks & regards

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry that you had trouble but as I have posted in several threads we would not suggest using our Extreme SSD drives in any OEM Note Book or Desktop. I would suggest using our Performance Series SSD's only in any OEM system, they are based on Samsung technology and have proven to be more compatible with OEM's limited BIOS support.

Thanks RAM Guy, any particular reason why you don't recommend the X Series for OEM laptops?

I also tried a Samsung PM800 256Gb which ran faultlessly in my Thinkpad W500 for 8 - 9 months, same problem.

Any other thoughts?

Thanks

David

• Corsair Employees
OEM systems tend to limit the BIOS size or keep it lean and they do not test with other types of hardware other than what is sold with the system. And Extreme series SSDs are more aggressive and a BIOS that is not optimized for that configuration may have issues.

Archived