Corsair Community

HW1000W, possibly faulty. How to tell?

Xjph

I'm running two Radeon HD 4890s off my HW1000W, and have recently begun to have problems with random shutdowns and lockups, at first I thought that it might be the fault of the video cards, as using an older HD 3870x2 seemed to solve the problem, and I even went so far as to RMA the 4890s, sending them back to Gigabyte.

I got the cards back from them a few days ago and the problem persists, however a review of the HW1000W caught my eye that stated one of the rails had a tendancy to lose power when the PSU was under load, and since even a single 4890 can draw more power than a 3870x2 (and the 3870x2 uses 8-pin and 6-pin PCIe connectors, while the 4890 has only two 6s) I'm beginning to think that it might indeed be the PSU. I've tested the voltages with a tester and they look fine, but of course that's not going to be under load.

So how should I diagnose this?

Tested each card individually on each rail. Either card running on the 12V2 rail is unstable and will eventually lock up / reboot. Either card running on 12V1 is fine. Looks like it's RMA time.

Eventual faliure on 12V1 as well. Radeon HD 3870x2 works fine still. A list of some more symptoms:

When a failure occurs the most common result is effectively a hard shutdown, monitor powers off, USB unresponsive, etc., but still powered on. Video card fans spin up to maximum.

Failures take longer to happen if the system is powered on from a cold state. If off for an hour or more it may take as long as 8 hours to fail. If powered off from a failure and immediately powered on, failure is almost immediate.

Sometimes after failure the system will not be able to power on at all. Pushing the power button will begin spinning up the fans, but the video cards will not even manage to complete their own internal POST before the system loses power (three of four LEDs on the cards light up, indicating POST in progress, but no error condition is ever displayed). It will then loop endlessly in this power up, video card POST, power down cycle. Recovering from this usually requires setting the CMOS reset jumper.

The HD 3870x2 requires roughly the same amount of power but uses an 8-pin connector, so its power is possibly better regulated?

I had already sent the HD 4890s in to Gigybyte for RMA, and they came back "No Trouble Found".

I plan to test the cards in an entirely different system as soon as I get a chance.

---

Does this sound like a PSU problem, or could it still be those cards? I consider it fairly unlikely myself that two cards would fail in the same way at the same time, but so far I've been unable to adequately test them, having no other easily accessible system to try them in, and the PSU tests fine with the tester, and works fine with a different card.

• Corsair Employee

Request an RMA

It sounds like it could either be an issue with the PSU or the motherboard, but you may want to run memtest.org just to be sure there are no memory issues contributing to the issue as well. It will be difficult to isolate the PSU and the motherboard unless you have another system to test with, but if all else fails we can certainly try replacing the PSU for you.

• 1 month later...

I sent my PSU in some time ago and last week recieved an email that it had arrived and was staged for review. The email also said to wait up to 5 business days for processing and said that I would be contacted shortly.

Well, it's been 7 business days and I've heard nothing. If I look up my case on the tsx site it says that the RMA has been processed or shipped. Does this mean it's on the way back? Should I have been given any kind of tracking info?

This is taking a while because I am 7,000km away, literally on the opposite corner of the continent. :P

I'm pretty eager to have my PC back.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to post my thanks. I got the replacement power supply in the mail and everything is working perfectly. The delay was entirely due to geography and the mail service.

Thanks for the excellent support.

Archived