Corsair Community

HX650 stickers

russd1978

Hi,

I have my Corsair HX650 all set up in my P183 case but I have noticed that the stickers on either side and the top are peeling off by themselves, presumably because the PSU is getting warm? I can stick them back down again with my hands, but after a few hours the edges of the stickers have curled back up again by themselves!

I dont care that much, but I am worried there is a bigger problem with the PSU overheating, or perhaps my cooling isnt adequate? I do have three Noctua 120mm fans and my other temps are fine.

Do have reason to be concerned or is this okay?

Thanks!

The PSU may run warmer is some systems than others, so unless it is hot to the touch I would not worry about it.

Thanks RAM GUY, really appreciate your help. Its warm, but the fan isnt running loudly so I dont think theres a problem.

I love the 7 year warranty - and the build is fantastic.

• 1 month later...
The PSU may run warmer is some systems than others, so unless it is hot to the touch I would not worry about it.

Hi

Sorry to bother you about this again, but I am quite concerned now about my HX650 as it now feels very hot to touch during normal use, in fact its the hottest thing in my case. I can hold my finger on it without it hurting but it feels very warm indeed, much warmer than my Seasonic S12. The fan is spinning okay, but there doesnt seem to be much airflow coming from the exhaust of the PSU at all.

The PC is stable so no problems there, but the HX650 stickers won't stay on the top and sides, they just curl right up (almost coming off completely due to the heat). I never overclock, and my spec is reasonably modest, so its not related to me pushing it too hard I am sure. I have good ventilation in the case and my cpu/case temps are fine. Do you think I could have a faulty unit and should request an RMA? I have only had it for a month, as I say no stability issues but I am concerned. The PC specs are:

CPU: Intel i7 920

Motherboard: Asus P6T

RAM: 6Gb Corsair Dominator Ram

Case: P183

PSU: Corsair HX650

GPU: Palit 8800GT

Fans: 3x120mm Noctua Fans

Maybe I should have got a higher wattage PSU?

• Corsair Employees

I would not suspect that the PSU is dangerously hot, but if you are worried about it then we would be happy to replace the unit for you. If possible you may want to run it in a different system, just to be sure that the PSU is getting hot on its own, and there are no other factors within the system contributing to the increase in temperature.

Request an RMA

I would not suspect that the PSU is dangerously hot, but if you are worried about it then we would be happy to replace the unit for you. If possible you may want to run it in a different system, just to be sure that the PSU is getting hot on its own, and there are no other factors within the system contributing to the increase in temperature.

Request an RMA

Hi Ram Guy,

Really appreciate your help - I wouldn't normally kick up a fuss over it, but I just think its unusually hot. The P183 has a separate chamber for the PSU so if anything it should be cooler than most cases... I will try it first in my lower powered system with a Solo case to see if it has any effect - thanks for the tip. If I have no luck I will request an RMA, thanks :)

• Corsair Employees

Do you have a thermometer you can use the measure the temp?

I use an Out side Thermometer to measure that type of device you can get them at any hardware store usually for less that 20 dollars just attach the probe on the exhaust and you can see how hot it is. But its normal at around 120-140 Deg F which would seem very hot just touching it. Especially if the system is loaded. And have you checked that the fan is running?

Do you have a thermometer you can use the measure the temp?

I use an Out side Thermometer to measure that type of device you can get them at any hardware store usually for less that 20 dollars just attach the probe on the exhaust and you can see how hot it is. But its normal at around 120-140 Deg F which would seem very hot just touching it. Especially if the system is loaded. And have you checked that the fan is running?

Thanks, yes fan is working okay. I have a feeling its a ventilation issue rather than a fault with the PSU.

The P183 case has a bottom chamber and the PSU sits on a ledge with a hole in the bottom to allow airflow. So I did a test by turning the PSU 180 degrees (see photo below) and its much cooler. I also added a front intake fan to the case, which helps even more. I guess in normal cases without the separate chamber you'd have more airflow, but in this case the airflow is low in that area.

Is it safe to have the PSU mounted upside down in the case like this? Thanks for your excellent advice as always :)

http://www.dragonfly1.com/russ/pic.jpg

Archived