Corsair Community

Building a gaming rig - Suggestions for PSU

stabby

Hi! I recently posted in the memory section of the forum and got just the help I needed, so I figured I'd spin on with this and try my luck in this section too!

Let me bring you up to speed - I'm piecing together a new computer using some old parts with a new set of core hardware.

Processor: Intel Core™ i7 Quad Processor i7-930

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R, X58

Memory: Corsair XMS3 DDR3 1600MHz 12GB CL9 (again, thanks for the recommendation!)

Graphics: two SLI connected GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB

Chassi: CM Storm Sniper (Three 200mm fans, one 120mm and one 140mm)

Now, naturally, I need to get some juice into this rig - and I've been recommended the Corsair HX 1000W PSU.

What I'd like some input on is, first of all - is 1000W a good number for this rig? Could I go with less? I got a decent idea of what models Corsair carry, but what is the main difference between the HX and TX series? Pros and cons? Any info is much appreciated - school a noob! ;):

Thanks for the reply!

I actually used the finder to get the 1000W recommendation - Together with TX 850, 950 and HX 850. I was a bit concerned about the sheer size of the HX 1000, as it could prove a factor. Right now, I am leaning towards the TX 950. The size is good and the power outage too.

Right now, it's size versus having cords laying around blocking airflow. See, the chassi I am looking at has an optional 120mm fan mount right behind the PSU - and a PSU much larger than standard (like the HX 1000), would not allow me that extra fan I need.

Archived