Corsair Community

Corsair Dominator cold boot issue with Gigabyte GA-X58-UD5

laxxity

I currently have an open support case open with Gigabyte on this issue but it is going nowhere fast due to them being unable to obtain the same memory as I or my friend have. So I need some expert advice on how to get to the bottom of this issue.

My friend and I both have systems based on the Gigabyte X58-UD5 motherboard and we are both running Corsair Dominator memory. Mine is running the 1866MHz (ver 2.2) DIMMs (see my specs) and my friend is running the 1600MHz DIMMs (sorry I don't have the exact part number).

Both of our systems are experiencing the "X58 cold boot" issue where by our machines detect *memory* overclocking stability issues at a *COLD* power on. The system then automatically turns off and back on again (sometimes 1-2 times) before getting to POST. The memory speed on both of our systems can then be seen running at 1333MHz and a warning message regarding stability issues. On entering the BIOS and saving the correct speed settings again the system is fine and boots normally. Both my machine and my friends machine are 100% rock stable in Windows and pass memory and CPU stress testing tools like memtest, prime95, LinX etc. We both heavilty use our systems for work and gaming and they are rock stable.

If we WARM reboot our systems, press the reset button or put our systems into sleep mode they NEVER have this problem. The problem ONLY occurs at power on from COLD and it doesn't happen every time (1 in every 2-3 cold power ons will fail).

Ok now I should also point out that this issue happens when the CPU is at its default clock speed. i.e. No overclocking at all. Only the memory is running at its "rated" speeds with its required rated voltage of 1.65V.

The problem is NOT related to any power supply issue as I have had 3 different types of manufacturer PSU's in my system and my current one is a 1000W Corsair PSU. My friends system of course is again another batch of hardware so it is NOT a hardware fault.

We have tried BIOS updates all the way up to the latest F12 (including some beta bioses provided by Gigabyte) and the problem remains on both our systems.

Gigabyte are now trying to obtain memory from Corsair to try and reproduce this problem but have been told that the memory is now EOL (End of Life) and so are trying to obtain its replacement... Quote from Corsair support to Gigabyte support :

"Sorry, it never went out as this part is already on EOL list. I will check the availability of the new part and place the order for you asap.

TR3X6G1866C9D – old part#

CMT6GX3M3A1866C9 – new part#

They are the same, except that the new part comes with mini port on the module to support our new upcoming accessories. I will let you know once it is available."

My concern is that they may not be able to reproduce the problem as these are a completely new batch of RAM even though supposedly they haven't changed.

I also suspect that it is an issue only seen with triple channel as Gigabyte had only a pair of these DIMMS (ver 4.1 not ver 2.2 like mine) to test initially and couldn't reproduce the problem.

So is there anyone here or at Corsair support who could test if this exact triple channel kit (ver 2.2 if possible) works correctly with the UD5 motherboard on cold boot? Or perhaps there is someone here seeing the same issue?

Many thanks,

Richard.

PS. Sorry for the long post! Just needed to try and get as much details in there as possible as this issue is driving my friend and me nuts!! :eek: lol

Replacing the DIMMs isn't going to fix the issue. As mentioned above my friend has exactly the same issue with his UD5 motherboard but is running slower 1600MHz Corsair DIMMs which have a completely different part number. Again they are triple channel which is where I believe this configuration hasn't been tested fully with the UD5 motherboards when they were qualified. Hence I wanted to know if Corsair has access to a UD5 motherboard which they can test some triple channel DIMMs with. If you can reproduce the problem then hopefully Gigabyte can then find out why they don't work correctly. Currently Gigabyte are having trouble sourcing DIMMs from Corsair to test with.

I should also point out that my friends Corsair memory exhibits exactly the same issue in my motherboard and visa versa. So it is is not faulty hardware. Its a DIMM compatibilty problem that hasn't been tested properly with the UD5 boards.

Many thanks,

Richard.

Actually I have exactly the same issue, I'm running the TR3X3G1600C9 on a Gigabyte GA-EX58-UD4.

I know it's not exactly the same hardware, but every now and again, my system will do exactly what ur describing, turn itself of one or two times, then give the message that it reset the memory setting for system stability, yet it runs perfectly fun in all other environments.

Interesting that its not limited to just one model of MB then. Makes me wonder exactly what is tested when RAM goes through qualification/certification testing.

Could someone from Corsair test this RAM again on these boards and confirm if they can reproduce this issue please?

Cheers,

Richard.

Archived