Corsair Community

RMAed RAM failing again

ok. so, i have two sets of cm2x2024-6400C5DHX.

one set i have had for a very long time now, version 2.1, which work flawlessly at 800mhz in any configuration in my motherboard, a Biostar TP45 HP. no complaints there.

i then went and added a second set of the exact same RAM but veriosn 3.2 which failed totally. no booting at all. RMAed those and received a set of 3.4. they worked alongside my 2.1 set fine, as long as you ran them at 796mhz. all 4GB was recognised and i was happy.

then, about 6 months later, they started to cause issues such as BSODS, then after rebuilding my computer from scratch with the same components, just would not allow my PC to even boot. my motherboard indicates a memory error on its post LEDs.

took out the 3.4 sticks, and voila, PC working. tried just the 3.4 in any configuration, and nothing but POST issues, hangs at windows load and then just nothing.

so, i RMAed them.

took an AGEEEE because of the damned volcano.

got back a set of 2.3 which again DO NOT WORK in any configuartion in my motherboard. one single stick will boot to windows but hang at loading. the other, every time, causes blank screen at post.

same result every time.

replace them with the 2.1 and perfectly working computer.

so why do the 2.3 not work, but the 2.1 sticks work flawlessy?

any chance i can get a set of 2.1 sent to me as an RMA?

• Corsair Employees

Please contact our customer service and see if they can replace them and Version 2.x modules will all be the same memory IC but officially we do not support mixing sets like that and would suggest running them at DDR667 when mixing two sets.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

im sorry ram guy, but i cant even get a single stick of the 2.3 to run even at DDR2 667mhz in any slot on its own, let alone get into memtest.

also, the main reason i am running two sets of modules of different version is because its what i have been supplied through RMA.

i have borrowed a set of 2.1 version before and they worked fine alongside my own, and i didn't think anything of matching the version number previously as that is what corsair had supplied me with- different version numbers to the ram i have that works.

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry but ordering the modules by version number will not be an option, and you can talk to our customer service and see if they will replace them all but as I stated we do not officially support mixing sets even if they are the same version.

i'm not mixing sets though... thats the thing.

they are 2 identical pairs of the same CM2X2048-6400C5DHX except for that the version number are different.

so you are telling me that you can't buy one set of ram, then buy the same set in the future to do an upgrade because the version number might be different?

thats ridiculous. every single part of their spec is 100% the same. even the packaging is exactly the same.

but anyway, this isn't caused by mixing ram. the 2.3 set just does not work in my motherboard, even with just one stick on its own in any of the slots. i've even updated my bios to the latest and nothing.

First off, I'd like to apologise for being snappy towards ramguy. This has really stressed me out, because of the great experience I have had with older corsair ram.

To sparky, that isn't an option. I can't be without a computer for the week plus that it would take to rma both sets of ram.

I will test the 3.4 sticks on their own in my brothers computer. If they work, great, if they don't, then I will be rmaing them.

As I said before, when I use just the 3.4 set, they just don't work.

ok, well, just tried the sticks i was sent through RMA in my brothers computer which has a totally different motherboard.

nothing at all.

no POST, only blank screen. even after a total dishcarge of the CMOS.

so, how do i go about getting an advance rebate? i'm really fed up with this, and even ordered another motherboard today (i need it anyway, my current one is giving me headaches).

thankyou for all your help guys.

• Corsair Employees

And let them know the previous RMA number and we will pay the shipping both ways, but as I said Mixing two sets even if they are the exact same version is not officially support and running 4 modules may require you to run them at the next lower speed grade.

I have posted this many many times about this subject.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 depending on the CPU FSB and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived