Corsair Community

650HX running hot

Temra

Just put this build together, and it's all running pretty good. No voltage issues as far as I can tell, but whereas my 550VX kept cool (while the fan was loud), this one is -almost- silent. The fan is going, not making any complaints, but barely pushing any air. The surface of the PSU is at least 115F, it's even making the case metal hot.

Is this normal? o_0 I don't think it is... but.. What do?

Edit: Up to 120F on the metal casing of the PSU

• Corsair Employees

Sounds like its running too hot. You may want to try running the PSU with it outside of the case and make sure that it is getting this hot on its own. If you are confident that the case has good cooling and the PSU is causing the heat itself, then lets go ahead and get it replaced!

Request an RMA

Sounds like its running too hot. You may want to try running the PSU with it outside of the case and make sure that it is getting this hot on its own. If you are confident that the case has good cooling and the PSU is causing the heat itself, then lets go ahead and get it replaced!

Request an RMA

Well, do you know what is the average temperature for a power supply in this range? When the computer is idle it seems to be 107f, with a ambient of around 74-76f.

It's not like the build puts a heavy load on it, but when I get back this afternoon I'll put it under load outside the case and see if it gets as hot again.

Then there's the problem of if I need to RMA it, what am I going to power this one with..? o.0.. does corsair cross-ship?

Thanks for your help.

• Corsair Employees

Once you receive an RMA number, please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to discuss possible shipping options.

There is not really an average temperature for the PSU, as every case will have a different cooling profile. The PSU is rated to run at its full wattage at ambient temperatures up to 50 degrees Celsius *(122F), so even if it runs warm in your case, it may not indicate anything is wrong with the actual unit.

Once you receive an RMA number, please contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to discuss possible shipping options.

There is not really an average temperature for the PSU, as every case will have a different cooling profile. The PSU is rated to run at its full wattage at ambient temperatures up to 50 degrees Celsius *(122F), so even if it runs warm in your case, it may not indicate anything is wrong with the actual unit.

I forgot to mention that the CM590 case has a external intake for the power supply, so it's pulling in fresh/74F air.

The main reason I say this is that the 550VX I had was quick to spin up and cool itself down.. I understand that they can run in hotter environments, if less efficiently and with a shorter lifetime, which is my main concern. Thanks for the suggestion, though. I opened a RMA request/sent a email.

Archived