Corsair Community

Flash Voyager GT 8GB - Device Installation Fails and Slow Write Speed

M_Taylor40

Hey everyone, I hope someone here can help.

I bought my Corsair Flash Voyager GT 8GB back in November 2006, since the first time I used the device, the first time you plug it into any Windows based (XP, Vista, 7, 32/64bit) computer the device installation will fail. But if I remove the device and re-plug it in, it will then be detected and installed correctly.

This issue literally happens on every computer I have ever plugged the drive into, if I ever re-install Windows, first time I plug it in its back until I unplug and replug it!

As it was only a minor inconvience I simply ignored the issue as carried on using the device. It's not like unplugging and replugging is going to take hours lol, I can spare the 2 seconds every time I use it on a new PC.

What is starting to become an annoyance is the speed, I used to get 50-70MBps write speed and the same if not faster for reading, which I loved! Nothing worse than filling an 8-16GB USB drive and spending a week while it transfers as if it was a high capacity floppy disk!

Recently though I have noticed that the speed of my device has dropped considerably and I now am looking at 15-30MBps write/read speeds.

I was basically wondering if this drop in speed and unplug/replug to get it to work in the first place is enough to get it exchanged or if anyone can suggest something to get it back to its old speeds.

Also, on a seperate note, for the system spec that you fill in for your profile you need to add a section for CPU cooler! I have a Corsair H50 Water Cooling Kit for my CPU and I can't add it on lol, I've got all my other Corsair stuff listed. (Still need a SSD and the 800D but I don't have the money :(:)

Anyways, any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

M_Taylor40

Hey RAM Guy,

I downloaded those tools and after formatting my drive was getting Read: 32009, Write: 27226 and File Copy: 6697 for a 100mb file in HDBench 3.30.

Are you serious that these drives (Voyager GT not plain Voyager) are only rated at a 16MBps write speed? I used to get 50MBps+ so have I just been lucky that I've managed to get a very fast one lol.

I'm copying data back onto the drive now (7.63GB in 906 Files) and it's managing to write between 10-20MBps (Depending on size or file being copied).

So is my current R/W speeds completely normal for the drive?

Also, what (If anything) can I do about the unplug/replug issue I have when I plug the drive into a new machine for the first time? Do you even do anything like a firmware update for a USB flash drive lol?

Thanks again,

M_Taylor40

• Corsair Employees

The performance you are getting is in line with current production 16 Gig GT Drives so yes you were just lucky or maybe the results were not accurate.

And I have not seen that problem where it disconnects however its not uncommon to have to restart sometimes when it is first installed.

Ok thanks for that RAM Guy, shame thats the 'standard' speed cos I loved it when I got 50MBps lol.

I don't think I've ever had to reboot after installing a USB drive on a correctly working Windows based PC (Had a few XP SP2 at work that have had a dll file changed to pre-SP2 that then require admin rights to install USB drives and want to reboot - unrelated to the USB drives, its a RM CC4 and old CC3 package issue!) but never had another drive doing this failed install problem.

I'll be re-installing Windows 7 in a few weeks when I get my 500GB Barracuda 7200.11 back from RMA so I'll take a screenshot to show what it's doing.

Thanks again for the help and I'll repost when I get those screenshots so you know what it's doing incase its any use.

M_Taylor40

Archived