Corsair Community

spd

corporateclaw

I am having the same problem with some memory I purchased at Mircocenter over the weekend. (Shows up as 8-7-8-20 in XMP for my GA-X58A-UD5 motherboard and the system is unstable/won't boot if I enable XMP) Is there a way to tell if it has been fixed on a later version of the memory? I'd prefer to just go do an exchange at Microcenter, rather than wait for an RMA, if it is fixed now.

EDIT: And if it is easier to just change the settings in the BIOS, what should I set the other settings at for this memory?

I purchased two kits of this memory from Newegg on 3/24. Both of them came in with the same date code (0951) and version (5.1) as others on this thread, and they, too, have the incorrect 8-7-8-20 XMP profile. It seems to work perfectly when manually setting the parameters, but it's fairly annoying to have just spent a good chunk on memory with such a basic defect.

Is there any way to reprogram the SPD in the field? The hassle and expense of returning the kits for something fairly minor makes me lean toward leaving it alone, but it bothers me that the profile is incorrect.

• 2 weeks later...

As an update: Microcenter finally got more of this memory in yesterday and so I went by to do an exchange. I convinced them to let me stick the Ram in one of their "custom build" models and test it first, though. It was an asus motherboard this time, but had the same results. The XMP setting selecting 8-7-8-20 and it would not boot. If I manually put it at 7-8-7-20, or ran at the default for the mobo, then it works fine (but cpuid still reports the spd at 8-7-8-20).

Do I need to make a different thread on this to get a response? I'm not sure why there has been no response, but I'd just like to know if this is a problem with this ram, in general with xmp, or what? I don't want to rma it and be without use of the computer for a week, if it is just something with this ram.

If you would like to get the memory replaced, use the link to the left to request an RMA. The memory will still run at spec even though it does have the incorrect XMP profle. The choice is yours and of course, your warranty is still valid for any future issues.

This is the response above. A few modules made it out into the world with the incorrect SPDs programmed. If you'd like to have them replaced, RMA them please.

Archived