Corsair Community

Need help with BIOS settings

firstbuild

This is my first system build (with some help). My system is running warm (~65-75C) at idle and the Intel "Desktop Control Center" is warning that the uncore voltage is 1.4v. With any load, it heats up to 80C and the fans go to high.

If I run default BIOS, the system is not stable. It takes several tries to boot, and then will occasionally shutdown. If I run the PMP profile 1 (1600-XMP), the system is stable but runs warm.

It appears to me that running PMP profile 1 sets the memory correctly to 1.66, but also seems to overclock the CPU to 3.65.

I contacted Intel, but they punted to Corsair and said to use default BIOS settings, and adjust only the items recommended by the memory vendor.

My goal is to run the CPU at standard settings, the memory at 1600, so that the system will be both stable and running cooler.

My research on the Corsair site suggests I need to change these defaults:

9-9-9-24 to 8-8-8-24

1.54 to 1.66

Is there anything else that needs to change to correct the CPU heat and uncore voltage issue?

The stable (but warm) settings are:

Performance Memory Profiles Profile 1: XMP-1600

Uncore Multiplier 24

Memory Multiplier 12

tCL 8

tRCD 8

tRP 8

tRASmin 24

tRFC 88

tRRD 6

tWR 12

tWTR 6

tRTP 6

tRC 41

tFAW 30

Memory Voltage 1.66

QPI / Uncore Voltage Override 1.350

Command Rate 2T

DIMM Reference Voltage Training Off

The unstable default settings are:

Performance Memory Profiles Automatic

Uncore Multiplier 20

Memory Multiplier 10

tCL 9

tRCD 9

tRP 9

tRASmin 24

tRFC 74

tRRD 5

tWR 10

tWTR 5

tRTP 5

tRC 33

tFAW 25

Memory Voltage 1.54

QPI / Uncore Voltage Override 1.150

Command Rate Auto

Any guidance would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I am a few tweaks from a nice new system.

I made the 4 proposed changes, but Win7 will not boot (many tries). I went back to PMP profile 1 (runs warm), and my system boots fine and is stable.

Here are the BIOS settings that I tried:

Performance Memory Profiles Manual

Uncore Multiplier 20

Memory Multiplier 10

tCL 8

tRCD 8

tRP 8

tRASmin 24

tRFC 74

tRRD 5

tWR 10

tWTR 5

tRTP 5

tRC 33

tFAW 25

Memory Voltage 1.66

QPI / Uncore Voltage Override 1.350

Command Rate Auto

Any suggestions?

The SPD "XMP-1600" (1.65v) timings from CPU-Z show 8-8-8-24, but also include tRC = 41 and "Command Rate" = 2T.

Should I set these manually as well?

1. Switch to default BIOS settings

2. Manually set to 8-8-8-24

3. Set memory voltage to 1.66

4. Set QPI to 1.35

5. Set tRC to 41

6. Set Command Rate to 2T

The Intel "Desktop Control Center" provides both a CPU and a memory stress test. I found that my system will overheat under memory stress, but it tolerates CPU stress.

I ran all 8 threads (4 cores) at 100% CPU for more than 6 minutes, and the CPU temp was rock solid at 75C.

I ran a memory stress test and the CPU temp went from 65C to 85C in only 15 seconds. I aborted the test, but it appeared the temp would have continued to climb.

What BIOS settings need to change to eliminate the heat problem with this Corsair memory.

I am running my P183 case with the two stock fans plus the three optional ones. The CPU cooler is the stock fan for the Core i7-975, but it is a beast.

Archived