Corsair Community

[HX750] Help needed with troubleshooting

mat1024

Dear Corsair Users,

I am having troubles with my HDD and Windows 7 64 bit ultimate. It does not seem to be primarily related to the PSU, but it could be...

CASE: CORSAIR OBSIDIAN 800D

PSU: CORSAIR HX 750W

MB: GIGABYTE X58-A UD7 REV 1

CPU: INTEL I7 930

RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 I7 TRX6G1600C7

GPU: GIGABYTE GV-R577UD-1GD

HDD: WESTERN DIGITAL VELOCIRAPTOR 3000 HLFS

PLUG: APC SURGE ARREST

The RAM has been tested with memtest86+, the HDDs have been scanned for bad sectors with HDAT2 & MHDD32.

Here is a history of the issues:

1. buy all brand new in march, the OS refuses to install, the installation always randomly stopped half way no matter i used IDE, AHCI or RAID modes, and displayed an 0xetc error message. i tried with another, older WD raptor HDD (not velociraptor) and it would install fine.

2. i return the hard disk to the shop, they give me a new velociraptor, and the OS installation goes well, but only in AHCI mode. the system runs fine for two weeks.

3. yesterday, i get a blue screen of death while moving a file, and i cannot start the OS anymore. i reinstall everything, it goes well, but this morning, the AHCI controller does not find the HDD start up. i start another reinstall, which is not successful, i try with this older HDD and it just hangs at this "serial ata ahci bios version 1.20E" screen where it detects the device.

No new software was installed, no games, no overclocking, the machine is not even connected to the internet as it is used for development work..

I have read on the internet that PSUs can sometimes be unstable and jolt the HDD which produce instability and failures. Could it be the case, according to the above story? Would you have any advice on how to troubleshoot the faulty part?

Many thanks,

Dear RAM GUY,

Thank you for your reply.

Yes I am using the hot swap bays.

I have plugged the HDD directly to the motherboard, and it works back.

But I also tried on the hot swap bays again and it works back :confused:

Could the problem be the hot swap bays? The HDD was connected for two weeks using the hot swap bays, and it worked without a problem. Just stopped yesterday morning for no reason..: the case is carefully installed on a very stable and spacious surface, it never moves, and I don't believe the HDD disconnected itself..

Have you experienced similar problems with the 800D?

Many thanks,

Archived