Corsair Community

H50 & CM690 II Advance Case

DeterH

I believe I originally posted this question in the wrong place. I read the thread about the H50 and the subject case with interest since I'm about to build another computer using that case. It has the ability to hold a ton of fans. My thought was to do either a push/pull configuration with the radiator inside at the top of the case and using one 120 mm fan pulling and one 120 or 140 mm in the top of the case pushing. This should move air from outside the case to the inside where it would be mostly exhausted by the rear exhaust fan. The other option would be to reverse the rear exhaust fan to blow air into the case and then exhaust through the radiator at the top of the case using the same fans reversed.

Anyway, has anyone tried such either approach and did it work? Or, (on the other hand) are these possibilities all wet, so to speak?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards, DeterH

• Corsair Employees
I think that both your ideas would work well, but as far as knowing which one would yield the absolute best performance you would need to try it both ways. Every case is going to have slightly different airflow characteristics so what may work best in your case, may not be the best for every case.

Thanks Ram Guy. As usual, Corsair service and response is both timely and helpful. I think I'll try both configurations and report the results. New computer anticipated to consist of:

CM690 II Advance Case

Intel i7 930 CPU

EVGA 132-BL-E758-A1 X58 3SLI RT Main Board

Corsair CMPSU-850HX 850W ATX12V Power Supply

Corsair DOMINATOR 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 SDRAM 1600Triple Channel Ram

Corsair Hydro Series CWCH50-1 CPU Cooler (What can I say - I like Corsair :D:)

Kingston V+ Series 128GB SATA II MLC SSD

Video Card TBD but looking at Nvidia Geforce GTX 480 to drive existing

Samsung 24" monitor.

Does anyone have any thoughts re: the above? Any improvement suggestions?

Regards,

DeterH

• 2 weeks later...

Using the exact same case I set up my system just yesterday. I mounted the H50 the optional 4in3 device module from coolermaster (http://www.coolermaster.com/product.php?product_id=2542). Got that idea from a post somewhere here in this forum.

Edit: Found it in the German section. Page 3 of this thread: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=84152&page=3

This pic is not from my system, it's from the post in the above thread. Due to smaller size of our case it's mounted more to the top. Still there is morer than enough room. I'm even using the top slot for the DVDROM. Also I mounted my setup slightly different like I describe below.

http://www.pickenhahn.de/pc/22.jpg

Installation is quite easy. The most important thing is to turn around the 4in3 and install it 'the wrong way around'. The 4in3 comes with a fan which is blowing in the wrong direction for our purpose. Demount it, turn it around and remount it, but not with the original mounting pins. Instead I used two of the 4 screws which hold the stock fan to the H50.

The final setup is:

<- H50 Fan <- H50 element <- 4in3 Fan <- 4in3 cage <- Front of case

So you still have the backend and top fan pulling out the air from the case. I think this is quite a nice airflow :)

My I5-750 is idling at around 28 degree in a room with quite hot ambient temperature. Max temp I got so far was 55 degree during a short Prime95 test run.

The only downside is that the 4in3 fan is the most noisy in the setup. We'll you have to listen carefully to even notice it ... If I'd do it again I'd probably use another more silent one, but hey that's just me looking for perfection :)

I really would like to give my thanks to that guy who originally posted this setup somewhere here in the forum.

Cheers

D

Archived