Corsair Community

R60 BIOS detection/boot issues

rgerritsen

Hello,

Last week i purchased a few new computer parts and also a corsair r60 solid state disk. After setting the computer up i begon installing the OS. during installation of windows ultimate x64 on the ssd disk i got several BSOD's and also hangs on "expanding windows files". after a few tries and playing with settings in the bios (p.e AHCI setting seemed to help, switched the drive to the e-sata disk port on the mobo also helped as i recall). anyways, finally it was installed and i was happy for that day. but...the day after the installation...too bad....the happiness was very short.

what happened the day after install and for a few days now is the following:

-When i boot up the computer it does not detect the corsair r60 in the BIOS. therefore the system automatically sets the second hdd (sata disk, no ssd) as primary boot device. Even when i disabled all other boot devices except the SSD! Which in turns ends up in a "no boot device detected". When the ssd disk is connected solo (no second drive) it has no problem detecting it and booting goes OK. windows boots up pretty fast and seems to run stable on all programs and apps.

point is, that i need the second drive for disk space. so i really need to get this working.

when this problem accurs i can sometimes fix it by setting the r60 as solo disk and boot up. then shutdown and change both disks on to another SATA port on the mobo. magically, if i am lucky, it will detect them both and it will work again. that is until the next day when i boot the computer again, it isnt working any more. while i didnt make any change to the config.

I dont like to do this every morning for the next xx years, so its not really a workaround for me. this morning i could not even fix it in any way. i hope i can get it to work again tonight when i get home.

Please help..? what could be the problem. it just seems the r60 ssd is not happy when there is a second drive attached.

i allready flashed the asus mobo bios to the newest version and also the firmware for the jmicron controller is up-to-date.

As i mentioned before, i did some testing with several bios settings (setting the drives to AHCI, IDE, etc), nothing seems to get it stable. maybe (and hopefully) i am missing something.....

hope to hear from you,

Hi have had a similair experiece with a X256 SSD drive but worst that sometimes the motherboard bios will not see it when it is the only drive in the PC.

I think it is more to do with the type of motherboard. Make sure you have the latest bios for your motherboard.

I am using a gigabyte GAG31M-ES2L board which does not have AHCI so I have let mine as auto. I have also found that putting the drives in to these sata ports has helped over the last few days but I will ahve to see if it is still working in time.

Sata 0 Primary is my sata CD/DVD writer

Sata 0 Secondary is the X256 SSD (boot drive)

Sata 1 Primary is an additional WD 500gig Black

THis may work for you it may not. I'm sure Ram guy will be able to give you more info than I can as I am know expert but have found that this set up so far works for my system (famous last words !! :eek:)

-just used 4 different cables on beoth drives - no changes

-i am not using a bay, just the 3,5" bracket that came with the drive

-i tried a lot of combinations of ports on the motherboard. sometimes finding a working combination, but to find it not working after a night's sleep.

Archived