Corsair Community

CMP24GX3M6A1600C9 and Intel 980x

IC100

I have the new Intel i7 980x hexacore CPU on a Gigabyte EAX58-UD5 motherboard. I've read some more into my CPU and the key weakness seems to be "memory bandwidth". Something about read/write speeds being a bit slow and something about L3 cache. Also, the CPU officially supports 1066MHz RAM but I've just ordered the 24 GB kit at 1600 MHz.

I have a minimal understanding of how RAM works. Could you help me understand what the "weakness" of my CPU means and what the optimal RAM configuration would be? My RAM should arrive in a few days and I'm planning on just slotting it straight in. I'm worried the computer might automatically increase the voltage going through the CPU given they're so closely connected now and if this would reduce my component longevity.

Finally, for long 3D renders, I'll be using EasyTune6 to click the "overclock" button (which has presets for BCLCK, multiplier, QPI, etc as I'm a noob overclocker so would rather leave it to official preconfigured sets) to get it 4GHz and let that run overnight. What are the RAM implications of this?

• Corsair Employees
As long as you stay to the rated timings of 9-9-9-24 and the memory voltage of 1.65v it should run without any issues. I would recommend changing everything in the bios rather than software.

Archived