Corsair Community

Trim - It may not be such an improvement after all on X128 after FW update?

PrObE

I was able to update the firmware on my X128 to 2.0 to get Trim-support a few days after Corsair released it.

After the update, I as most others saw a slight decrease in performance, approx 10% less, which may indicate that TRIM is active.

When I initially installed the X128, formatted as described here (Quick format, 4K allocation) and did a fresh Win 7 x64 install my read/writes where 280/180 until the day i updated the FW to 2.0, then it dropped to 250/150. These numbers are still very good considering it is specced at 240/170 and i am even using it as my boot-drive.

I ran it like this for approx a week and the numbers stayed the same at 250/150.

I then decided to start from scratch so i secure ereased the disk using parted magic, reformatted as before and did a new, fresh install of OS and apps. Numbers went up sligtly to 260/160. i am happy with these numbers as they are above spec and higher than before the secure erase.

Now the fun stops.

I did yesterday a new bench (Atto as usual) and the read/writes are now down to 150/100. Now this is on a identical system as before the secure erase, configured to Win 7 like in the stickie and with the same apps and drivers, except for the nvidia-drivers that is.

My SSD is 4 months old now, almost 3 of these without TRIM-support and had quite solid, concistent performance, and after 1 month WITH TRIM-support i see degration. Strange.

Again, my system has the same config as before and TRIM is confirmed active (Command Prompt).

This leads me to believe that TRIM may not be such a "life savior" for SSD's after all.....we will still need to tinker a little with it i guess.

I will over the weekend do a new secure erase and fresh install to give it another try and see what happens. There is also the possibility that something has gone wrong with the SSD itself but I seriously doubt so.

What are other peoples experiences now approx a month after the FW-update was released?

EDIT: PrObE found a very interesting piece if information which is posted later in this thread. I have copied and pasted it here in the hope that it may help other users. Thanks again to PrObE for posting.

i did a new ATTO-bench today to check how things are holding up now after a months time of use after re-install.

Speeds are higher than ever at 195/280 :laughing:

Trim seems to work just fine now after all.

I have done one thing different now than on my previous install and that is to choose "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial Controller" in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices instead of the "Intel ICH10 Family 6 port SATA AHCI controller-3A22" which sets in default when loading the Intel CHipset/INF-driver, so this could be a heads-up to people running X58-boards and are experiencing degradation.

I have no other Intel drivers/management installed.

• Corsair Employees

You might log out of Windows and just leave the system running for about 2 hours then log back in and Run ATTO again and see if it comes back.

Also are you running any software in the back ground especially any Anti-virus or Disk management software? Or any software that writes a lot of Temp files?

You might log out of Windows and just leave the system running for about 2 hours then log back in and Run ATTO again and see if it comes back.

Also are you running any software in the back ground especially any Anti-virus or Disk management software? Or any software that writes a lot of Temp files?

Hi RAM GUY, thanks for the reply.

My system idles 3-5 hours every day and the last bench was done immidiately after an idling-period. I will though try to log out and let it idle and try again.

I also make sure to disable all non-OS tasks before the bench.

My system is set up the exakt same way as both before the FW update AND the secure erase and reformat and the benches have all been done using the same procedure.

All temp-files (OS and apps as well as docs and pics) are moved to a secondary disk with a unique partition for each "type". I have the OS (incl necessary apps), Office, Antivirus, Photoshop and 5 games (Temps and save-files are also moved to the secondary disc) installed on the SSD.

So i am a little confused to why and how i am all of a sudden seeing this decrease in performance.

I am also curious for some more experiences from other users that was able to sucessfully update to FW 2.0 on their X-series drive now that some time has passed with TRIM functional and how they are getting along?

Cheers,

• Corsair Employees

The performance will drop slightly about 10% with the new firmware from what I have seen, but it should not drop that much. The previous firmware had G/C and may have been running and with the firmware that supports TRIM, G/C is not active and your system may have TRIM active but not passing the command to the drives depending on the driver used for the IDE Controller.

Or if you are using RAID TRIM will not function.

It is a single drive, Bios set up as AHCI and i assume the OS loads the correct driver (MSAHCI) when installing?

Only thing i can think of that can mess things up are the MoBo (X58) drivers, but eVGA has split the Intel drivers so they "should" be fine.

I agree, this drop is not "normal" after 1 months use.

What driver version are you using from Intel? I would try the latest Intel Mass storage drivers.

By Mass storage you mean matrix storage driver or RST drivers right?

I am using these chipset drivers from Evga from the Evga support page for my Evga X58/E758 mobo:

Driver Version : 9.1.1.1025 - EVGA Recommended Download

Release Date: 12/29/2009

WHQL Certified : YES

Driver File : infinst911.exe (Primary Download Link)

Notes : NONE

i Have not installed any Raid drivers or management as i am not using Raid.

I am a little confused as the Trim-faq states:

How do I enable support for TRIM?

For TRIM to function the operating system, storage drivers and solid-state drive must all support the TRIM command. Currently, only Microsoft Windows 7 operating systems support the TRIM command and only when the default Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI) from Microsoft is used.

As such, TRIM is only supported in single-drive configurations, since current RAID storage drivers do not pass on the TRIM command from the operating system.

From this i assume that when i use AHCI that the OS automatically loads/use the MSAHCI driver to pass on TRIM?

This is quite a popular chipset/mobo so would be interesting to know others users setups/drivers and TRIM confirmed functional.

Cheers,

• Corsair Employees

This should be the latest Controller driver and what you should use.

TRIM will function automatically as long as you have the latest drivers installed and the latest Firmware for the X-Series drives. Do a search on http://www.microsoft.com/technet for how to enable/check for TRIM support they have a step by step FAQ.

This should be the latest Controller driver and what you should use.

TRIM will function automatically as long as you have the latest drivers installed and the latest Firmware for the X-Series drives. Do a search on http://www.microsoft.com/technet for how to enable/check for TRIM support they have a step by step FAQ.

Thanks, i am still confused over this though. After reading the MS Technet FAQ (http://blogs.msdn.com/e7/archive/2009/05/05/support-and-q-a-for-solid-state-drives-and.aspx) and the Trim-FAQ found here i find that i basically meet the "requirements" for Trim to be active:

TRIM Support Checklist

- Microsoft Windows 7 operating system Check, Win 7 Ultimate x64

- SSD with TRIM-supprting Firmware Check, X128 Firmware 2.0

- Storage Controller configured in IDE or AHCI mode Check, AHCI

- Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI / working for IDE and AHCI mode) Check, confirmed by regedit, HKey_localmachine/system/currentcontrolset/services/msahci, Start D_Word value is (0) which indicate startup

But, the performance of my SSD has degraded by almost 40% in 1 month with Trim active so something is not right.

I will shortly do a new secure erase and fresh install to see if this changes thing.

And again, it would be interesting to hear from other users and their experiences after the introduction of Trim on Xseries.

Cheers,

TRIM Support Checklist

- Microsoft Windows 7 operating system Check, Win 7 Ultimate x64

- SSD with TRIM-supprting Firmware Check, X128 Firmware 2.0

- Storage Controller configured in IDE or AHCI mode Check, AHCI

- Microsoft Storage Driver (MSAHCI / working for IDE and AHCI mode) Check, confirmed by regedit, HKey_localmachine/system/currentcontrolset/services/msahci, Start D_Word value is (0) which indicate startup

I can echo the above situation exactly.

Since updating my X128 Firmware I watched the performance degrade quite quickly (ATTO benchmarks had dropped to 170/120) so decided to "break" my RAID 1 array and revert to "configure SATA as AHCI" in the BIOS. After a few BSDs and other heartaches along the way I finally got everything to work and the Disk controller to show as AHCI using the msahci driver. They came back up to 260/190 - even higher than specification after changing to AHCI and erasing the SSD following the procedure given on the sticky in this forum. That was a couple of days ago.

On running ATTO today I note that the READ figures have stayed high at around 260 but the WRITE have dropped back to around 160. Still acceptable but I shall be watching carefully over the next couple of weeks to see if the situation changes.

I THINK I have now got TRIM working but I can't be totally certain just yet.

I have now done a clean erase using Parted Magic, reformatted using "Quick Format" w/ 4K allocation and done a clean install of OS and apps.

The reason for me doing a clean install is basically *IF* there was something wrong with my previous install i did not want to transfer this to new set-up using a image.

So to conclude, TRIM is confirmed active in CMD and i am using AHCI with MSAHCI-driver. The only thing i am a little confused about is when i go into device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices i have Intel ICH10 Family 6 port SATA AHCI controller-3A22 listed. Going into drivers it is only MS-drivers specified. However, if i go to "update driver" and choose "decide driver" i also get the option to choose "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial Controller". Looking at the driver details they look the same as for the Intel's.

Does it matter which one i choose?

Anyway, my speeds are right back to normal at 190 / 265, let's hope now that they will stay that way :)

If you are not running raid, don't use any mass storage driver but the default MS one. That is what I have to do on my notebook (since the nvidia storage driver does not pass TRIM to drive) and I have been seeing no degradation at all

Just go to device manager and uninstall the storage controller driver

My X128 hasn't degraded at all since I updated, although It is only 10% full at the moment, in saying that I have filled it twice with torrents and transferred them multiple times to an external hd, also performance was abysmal when over 90% full hence the transfers to get where I am now. I'm getting a max 250 in reads and 200 in writes in Atto which seems above spec ! I'll post a screen of my results when I work out how to do it. My drive is installed in an oc'd atom based N510 with an Ion chipset and it's made such a huge difference !

• 4 weeks later...

i did a new ATTO-bench today to check how things are holding up now after a months time of use after re-install.

I have done one thing different now than on my previous install and that is to choose "Standard AHCI 1.0 Serial Controller" in device manager under IDE ATA/ATAPI devices instead of the "Intel ICH10 Family 6 port SATA AHCI controller-3A22" which sets in default when loading the Intel CHipset/INF-driver, so this could be a heads-up to people running X58-boards and are experiencing degradation.

Thanks for posting this, VERY interesting. I am going to cut n paste this into your first post so that other readers can find it and give it a try. ::pirate::

Archived