Corsair Community

Computer having trouble booting up

Biowulf

Since I replaced my motherboard and PSU last year with new modules, including a Corsair TX 750W power supply, I haven't had any problems, everything worked fine up until today.

I turned my computer off for the night and when I woke up the next morning, it wasn't booting or posting. I reseated the memory, and unplug/plugged everything back into its proper slots and still get the same problem. What's occuring is the Motherboard and all the peripheries are recieving power for a few seconds, then everything shuts down and the cycle repeats endlessly. There is no post, but all the fans do boot up.

What I do not understand is that when I have the 8pin 12v (main power) plugged into the motherboard, the problems occur, however, when I pull the 8pin 12v out, the motherboard doesn't have any trouble, as in it doesn't shut down and boot up repeatedly, but obviously the CPU doesn't work since it's not getting any power.

Is this a motherboard issue or possibly a bad wire from the PSU (I of course speak of the 8pin 12v).

If it is the latter, how long is the warranty usually on corsair power supplies? This one was purchased last year, no later than August 2009.

Any help is appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
That would suggest it may be a problem with the MB but I would try and use just the 4 Pin 12 Volt portion of the 8 Pin Plug and see if that will solve the issue. But if you can test the MB with another PSU that may help to isolate the issue.

That would suggest it may be a problem with the MB but I would try and use just the 4 Pin 12 Volt portion of the 8 Pin Plug and see if that will solve the issue. But if you can test the MB with another PSU that may help to isolate the issue.

I appreciate the quick response.

I'll go look for another PSU, however, currently the computer is not receiving any power at all now. Earlier this morning it was at least booting up everything but the actual CPU, now I can't get a single light to come on, no matter how many times I re-seat wires or devices.

Is it possible my motherboard is fried completely or could it be likely my PSU shorted out. I am not even getting the fan on the power supply to rotate.

I'll seek out another PSU in the meantime.

EDIT:

Seems the problem was neither PSU or Motherboard related, in regards to no power at all. I am now able to reproduce the symptoms from earlier today. Still working on the other PSU however.

Another little observation that may be the cause.

I noticed that no matter what plugs are put into the MOBO, the heat sink fan tries to turn on but fails. I believe it may be the cause of the cycling, perhaps the CPU realizes this and shuts down the computer to compensate for the lack of dispersion.

Ironically, the motherboard doesn't cycle when the CPU isn't plugged in. Perhaps I need a new heatsink or to re-seat this one.

I'm still open for advice though, I don't believe it's the corsair PSU anymore, so I apologize if that's the case.

I unfortunately do not have any other power supplies that work on this motherboard, they're either too old or no longer in working order.

I will contact my motherboard provider and inquire there. Thanks for all the help so far.

Archived