Corsair Community

Asus M2N-SLI Deluxe w/ 2 kits of TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX – default timing question

analogue

I understand: “With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and...”

However - I have not been experiencing any problems leaving the default timing on this system. Is it likely I may experience problems in the future as a consequence of leaving the system defaults? DDR800 in particular rather than DDR667? or is the NB voltage more critical? This is four modules; (two matched pairs bought at the same time from newegg); all motherboard slots populated. I have low hours on this system at this time but I will soon be using it 8 – 10 hrs/day as a digital audio workstation.

I understand: “With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and...”

However - I have not been experiencing any problems leaving the default timing on this system. Is it likely I may experience problems in the future as a consequence of leaving the system defaults? DDR800 in particular rather than DDR667? or is the NB voltage more critical? This is four modules; (two matched pairs bought at the same time from newegg); all motherboard slots populated. I have low hours on this system at this time but I will soon be using it 8 – 10 hrs/day as a digital audio workstation.

You're also not running those modules to their full potential at autodetected default settings. Using 4-4-4-12 requires those settings to be set manually. Otherwise, the default latency timings are 5-5-5-18 or 5-6-6-18 @ DDR2-800 speed. (Remember, the official JEDEC memory latency standards for DDR2-800 memory are only CAS 5 or CAS 6. CAS 4 at DDR2-800 speed is considered overclocking.)

And because 4-4-4-12 is considered "overclocking" in the case of DDR2-800 memory, there is a good chance that your system might become unstable or even refuse to POST when you set 4-4-4-12 and the full DDR2-800 speed with all four memory slots populated.

And I have just read the title. Did you mean "TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX"? (The TWIN2X2048-6400C4DHX kit contains only 1GB modules; four such modules make up only 4GB total. You would need eight modules to make up 8GB if you have the TWIN2X2048 kits. The "TWIN2X2048" designation means that the total memory amount for both modules together is only 2GB.)

Thank you, RJLeong65:

You are correct on the part number: it is TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX

It was a cut and paste error on my part. This may also explain why I couldn't find an answer on the forum - if there is one.

Yes, default is: 5-5-5-18 @ DDR2-800 which seemed to be working o.k.

Last night, after posting, I set 4-4-4-12 @ DDR2-800 w/ memory voltage set to 2.10V (but did not bump the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 – I did not find where to do that in setup - but it is probably important?), disabled legacy USB, and ran memtest86+ version 4.00. Went to sleep. No errors at 85% first pass when I later checked but I woke up to find machine powered off. Thought maybe it was an APM/ACPI/APIC issue but had to clear CMOS and fsck w/repair.

Now I am back to 5-5-5-18 @ DDR2-800 (everything AUTO); seems fine again.

I suppose my question(s) should rather be: “Would it be better to set DDR-667, MEM voltage to 2.10V, and NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 in order to avoid future problems?” “How much better? - i.e.: what might the future problems be?” I suspect NB needs a little help but I have not yet found in BIOS where to address that issue.

Thank you for your assistance...

An update:

I re-set to defaults and recovered the system. Defaults are: 5-5-5-18 @ DDR2-800 w/ everything left on default settings.

I ran memtest86+ version 4.00 for 8+ passes (about 12 hours, overnight plus most of the day) with no errors.

Maybe I got lucky buying the two matched pairs. Maybe corsair has really good product & functional QC. The system flies.

I made an error in the title of the original post but was unable to edit it. Thanks to the moderator who fixed it.

The only remaining issue is: “Should I expect a progressive or possibly even sudden catastrophic degradation of the NB as a result of not jacking up its voltage?” I have not dealt with this particular issue in my not-so-limited experience.

Thanks.

Archived