Corsair Community

Time to RMA my H50, already?

Flayer

Hello, and thanks for stopping by.

I just bought a new build, along with a H50, for exactly a week ago. Here's some pictures, if needed: http://flayer.fisknylle.se/datorn/

But, I've had nothing but trouble with my H50.

My load temps are outrageous!

Oh, well, that'll say when I use my OC settings.

With no OC at all, my CPU idles around 30°C, and when 100% load, around 56°C using LinX and prime95.

The thing here is, when I use my OC settings, my CPU idles around 40-45°C @ 3.8GHz and OVER 90°C when 100% load in LinX and prime95.

This, to me, is not acceptable at all. Considering that my friend uses the exact same CPU, CPU cooler, chassi and PSU as I do, his temps at 100% load @ 4,2GHz stays under 65°C.

A picture of the temps running LinX can be found here: http://flayer.fisknylle.se/datorn/crazytemp.jpg

Well, now the themp is at 85°C and the voltages is a little bit lower.

VCore @ 1.25V

VTT @ 1.28V

PCH @ 1.05V

But still, that is just too high.

Things I've tried to resolve the problem:

- Check that the fan blows in.

- Re-seated the pump.

- Re-applied thermal paste 3 times.

- Re-seated the radiator at different positions

- Lowering voltages.

- Scratch my head 1000 times

- Asked around EVGA's forum for help.

- Tried push / pull.

And nothing have helped even a little.

A user over at EVGA's forum said that there might be bubbles blocking the water flow. When I slap the pipes, a bubbling noise appears. This happens 1/4 times when slapping them.

The user over at EVGA told me that this might be a defect H50.

The thread at EVGA's forums can be found here: http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?high=&m=252657&mpage=1#255516

So, what should I do next?

Is my H50 defect, and what can I do about it?

I really don't know what else to do.

Thx in advance.

First, turn the rad over so the tubes are on the bottom, this ensures the pump is always flooded and working properly. Make sure the pump connector is always getting 12v and the voltage is not varied by the bios. It should run at approx. 1400 rpm. Its ok if the rad fans are controlled by the cpu temps.

Second is your case, it is designed to be a quiet case and is lined with a bitumen material which reduces noise but holds in heat. You are using the stock setup and i would add fans to the front, bottom, top and side position if overclocking your system. Try to balance the amount of fans exhausting and intaking. The most natural path to exhaust is out the top and back. The h50 will work well exhausting if there is good air flow through the case and a push/pull setup is most effective. Try to match the rad fans within reason.(stock is 50 cfm, my second fan is 63 cfm). Hope this helps.

A little off topic, how do you like your case? any issues? i would like to purchase one for my wifes pc when they become available in canada.

First, turn the rad over so the tubes are on the bottom, this ensures the pump is always flooded and working properly. Make sure the pump connector is always getting 12v and the voltage is not varied by the bios. It should run at approx. 1400 rpm. Its ok if the rad fans are controlled by the cpu temps.

Second is your case, it is designed to be a quiet case and is lined with a bitumen material which reduces noise but holds in heat. You are using the stock setup and i would add fans to the front, bottom, top and side position if overclocking your system. Try to balance the amount of fans exhausting and intaking. The most natural path to exhaust is out the top and back. The h50 will work well exhausting if there is good air flow through the case and a push/pull setup is most effective. Try to match the rad fans within reason.(stock is 50 cfm, my second fan is 63 cfm). Hope this helps.

A little off topic, how do you like your case? any issues? i would like to purchase one for my wifes pc when they become available in canada.

Thanks for your answer.

About rad. I've tested it both ways, none better then the other.

In the front of my case, theres 2 120mm fans blowing in air. On the top of my case theres one 120 blowing out, and then theres the 120 on the rad blowing in. One of my friends, think I mentioned him earlier, has the exact same setup, but he has one more fan at the bottom. My voltages are at 12V and my RPM's are 1700 and 1400, just as they should be. But still, my friends, who has the exact same case, exact same CPU, exact same cooler, lacks this problem. He has no problem whatsoever with his cooling, and the only difference is one fan at the bottom of the case.

To be honest, I don't think that's the problem, as we have the same airflow too. Except for his extra fan att the bottom. I mean, our fans "blow the same ways".

About the offtopic. There are some things. For starters, its very heavy. Weights about 12KG without any components. Secondly is that there are no noise reduction for the DVD/CD drives, and there's just two 5,25" slots.

If you haven't already, you can take a look at the pictures of my build that I posted in the first post, to see how it looks like. It's quite messy if you have alot of HDD's, alot of cables on the other side.

Thanks for the comments re: your case.

Some people have said that lapping the cpu has greatly improved the cooling as the edges of the intel cpus are slightly higher than the rest of the chip. You should be able to see if your cpu is like this by looking at the tim pattern after removing the pump. I still wonder about your air flow as you have 3 120's intaking air and just one exhausting. Is it possible to put an additional fan exhausting on the top?, perhaps move a front intake to exhaust out the top.

The next thing might be to look at your overclock settings, are they the same as your friends in regard to voltages? Sounds like you have covered all the basics to find the problem.

but cosair said it can be mounted anyway, why should it effect the performance? and some cases can't have them both on the bottom and if you do.. they become over bent and causes leaks.

How about swappin' parts with your friend? Put your processor in his rig and see how the temps look, or put his H50 in your rig.

Ye, I have thought abut it, but I can't do that just ye, as I'm staying at my parents after a surgery, and he lives 30 Swedish miles away, which takes about 3,5h to travel =P

I've been talking to him over Skype tho, discussing all the options, but we came to the same conclusion. The H50 must be defect.

He have about the same voltages, and none of my settings are higher than his are right now, still my CPU gets over 90°C.

The difference between our cases is that he has two fans in the top, and that he uses push/pull. But I've already tried push/pull but without result. And the video Corsair have on the product page only uses push, and still their overcklocked processor stays at ~62°C. My voltages and settings are about the same, my CPU runs about 3.8GHz and theirs around 4GHz.

I'm going to talk to the company that I bought my H50 from and see what they say. But I think I will ask them to send me a new one.

Thanks for all the answers so far =)

but cosair said it can be mounted anyway, why should it effect the performance? and some cases can't have them both on the bottom and if you do.. they become over bent and causes leaks.

If the h50 works well in whatever configuration you have thats great. If not then you have to try something to eliminate a possible problem. I like the rad hoses on the bottom so any air in the system stays at the top of the rad and does not flow through the system.

• 2 weeks later...
If the h50 works well in whatever configuration you have thats great. If not then you have to try something to eliminate a possible problem. I like the rad hoses on the bottom so any air in the system stays at the top of the rad and does not flow through the system.

Ye, but I've tested both way's, and that without any lower temps. With other words, there was no difference between the two ways of mounting the radiator.

• 3 months later...

Okay. Along time ago since I was lookin in this thread. Meanwhile nothing has happend, except that I sent my H50 to the company I bought it from. They tested it and sent it back, saying they got around 20°c idle no OC. And around 30°c idle, OC.

Running LinX they got about 65°c OC. What tha heck? Did they cheat me or is it really my airflow that ****s it up like this? My roomtemp is about 26-28°c right now, and my idle temp is 40°c+ and no OC. Any tips? Any conclusions? Really want to get an answer on this one.

Is load line calibration turned on? That will raise your cpu voltage higher than 1.25. Any way to cool your room off? 83F is a pretty warm room. I keep my room 20C and idle at 29C stock, and P95 is at 65C. If I overclock, and set it to 1.25 volts, and with LLC, it goes to 1.28 volts, @ 4ghz, that takes the temps up to 75C, and that with a push pull fan.

I think your room is just too hot to overclock with your setup.

i hope i have not missed it but have you tried adding another fan on the rad for push/pull?

the other thing is i do agree with the possibility of high corners on the CPU preventing the best contact with the cores.

i would remove the pump and check the contact from the impression left by the TIM/paste.

Archived