Corsair Community

Corsair hx650 goes with a loud electrical bang when I Turn on the PSU switch

HybridX

Hi, im querying an issue im having with my 2 1/2 month old HX650.

For the first month its been fine but after that occasionally when i turn the PSU on via its switch theres a loud electrical bang as if somethings sparking then its fine.

The psu works fine aside form this and ive had my rig stressed under prime95/ intel burntest and various peices of software and the PSu hasnt failed.

Sometimes i can turn the pc on over 2-3 nights and everytime i flick the switch on the PSU itll go with a bang then sometimes it wont do it for a week or two.

My concern is a) killing over a £1000 of equipment and b) if i RMA the PSU and nothings found wrong with it even though i know there is im going to encure a testing charge. c)I cant afford to be without a pc for 2-3 weeks while its tested due to work

Advice please?

• Corsair Employees
There should not be an electrical bang occurring no matter what. Even if the system is working now I would suggest replacing the unit just to be safe. If possible you may want to see if you can duplicate the same behavior in a different system, just to be sure that the PSU is the cause, but it does sound like the PSU is the most likely culprit. You can Request an RMA, and once you get the RMA number, feel free to contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com to see what RMA options may be available to limit your downtime.

Whats the turn around time like for a PSU RMA in the UK? and will i be charged any testing fees etc.

Also if i RMA it and it doesnt create the issue im having once tested will i be charged for testing or will i receive a replacement as standard regardless of testing?

This electrical spark sound when i turn the switch on probably only happens 10-20% of the time

Either way, you should get it replaced ASAP. I wouldn't subject my systems to a defective power supply.

Something else to consider; Being an Systems Admin, I do see my fair share of areas with bad power issues (homes or businesses), in which the local power company has spikes or drops in voltage in certain areas. If you get a new PSU, and you notice a similar issue, maybe its time to look at a line conditioner or UPS to stabilize your incoming power to your PC.

Either way, best of luck with your endeavors. :)

• Corsair Employees
Whats the turn around time like for a PSU RMA in the UK? and will i be charged any testing fees etc.

Also if i RMA it and it doesnt create the issue im having once tested will i be charged for testing or will i receive a replacement as standard regardless of testing?

This electrical spark sound when i turn the switch on probably only happens 10-20% of the time

International turn around times can be 10-14 days, but I would suggest contacting our customer service directly if you would like to get a more accurate estimate or find out if there are any alternative shipping options.

You will not be charged a testing fee, the only thing you would pay is the return shipping to us, we would pay the shipping of a brand new replacement unit.

You can contact our customer service at 888-222-4346 and dial "0", (510) 657-8747 or email rmaservice@corsairmemory.com if you have any RMA specific questions.

• 6 months later...

I hope an admin eg ramguy can see this.

The issue stopped after i rebuilt the PC following the last post on this thread and the issue stopped so i just put it down to a bad build then today i turn the PC on at the PSU switch and there was huge electrical bang and now the PC is as dead as a doornail. The powersupply doesnt appear to be supplying any power to the computer as the motherboard lights now dont light up. Also when the bang occured the fusebox in the house tripped and the motherboard took a few seconds to lose the power from the PSU power delay.

If the power supply has killed any components in my PSU i would assume corsair are liable once confirmed the PSU is faulty. Its under warranty still its only 9 months old

Quick question, im RMA-ing my 9 month old HX650 after it went with a massive bang, tripped the house fuse and appears to be dead.

I have the sneaky suspicion its Killed some of my components too. in the instance where a PSU blows and it kills other components how do i stand with liability with corsair?

I would assume considering my PSU is under warranty and the PSU was quite clearly the cause of the problem (i turned the switch on at the back of the PSU and it went with a bang). Once confirmed are corsair liable to replace like for like equipment due to their faulty product considering its possibly killed £1000 + of equipment

The warranty page on the website isnt overly clear.

• Corsair Employees

From our warranty page:

Limitation of Liability

CORSAIR SHALL NOT BE LIABLE FOR ANY SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, INDIRECT, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES WHATSOEVER, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO LOSS OF PROFITS, REVENUE, OR DATA (WHETHER DIRECT OR INDIRECT) OR COMMERCIAL LOSS FOR BREACH OF ANY EXPRESS OR IMPLIED WARRANTY ON YOUR PRODUCT EVEN IF CORSAIR HAS BEEN ADVISED PREVIOUSLY OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES. Some local laws do not allow the exclusion or limitation of special, indirect, incidental or consequential damages, so this limitation or exclusion may not apply in your jurisdiction.

This is the official stance, but to tell you the truth it is usually unlikely that other components would be damaged in a scenario like this. There are fail safes built into both the PSU and the motherboard. If you are able to isolate components that may have failed due to the PSU then please document this information, take some pictures of the damage and send it to ramguy@corsair.com, we will definitely look into the possible cause of the problems, but I can not guarantee what action we will be able to take.

Once you get an RMA for the PSU, please call us in tech support at 800-205-7657 and ask for the tech support supervisor. We will work with you to see what can be done to resolve this for you.

Archived