Corsair Community

High idle temps for H50

Scott78

I know there are a few other threads about this but I feel my situation may be different as I have a different processor and run through just about everything I can find from researching these forums and others.

I recently purchased a i7960, E758 3x SLI, Corsair Dominator 1600 RAM, and H50. I chose to not use the TIM that was already on the H50 and applied AS 5 instead following the line method on their website. I have installed 2 Yate Loon's in push pull following the instructions to bring cold air into the case so that is how my push pull is setup. The pump is plugged into the JPWR_FAN header on my mobo and it always shows at about 1450 RPM's which seems to be spot on.

I have a mild OC right now to 3.8 which should be nothing I would think. VCORE is at 1.3, I did a +.200 for VTT, and set RAM to 1.65V. Everything else is set to auto. VDROOP is set to off as well as turbo. I feel this is a very mild OC from stock settings. I am getting horrible idle temps and not sure what tot ry next or maybe my pumps bad?

I am currently idling at

Core0: 51

Core1: 48

Core2: 50

Core3: 46

For not doing anything I feel this is way too high. I have seen people with 920's report 4G OCs with higher VCORE than i have idling at mid to low 40s. I feel I am missing something and am looking for some advice or help.

I have tried having the tubes from the rad be on top and on bottom and neither changes the temps. I have tried with the side of the case attached and not on with no change. I have tried plugging the pump into several different connectors on the motherboard and directly to the power supply as well as making the fans run 100% in the bios with no change. I am receiving the same temps with just the corsair fan or the others in push pull.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

SO maybe noone is helping because I am overclocking? I reset everything to default in my BIOS and am running at stock settings. I still idle at 48 to 49. It hits 90 under prime 95. I also redid my TIM today and understand there is a cure time of 2 weeks but from what I have read it will only effect it by a few degrees.

I also noticed the other thread where people talk about the noise from their pump. My pump makes 0 noise, its silent. Does that mean it is not working and that is my problem?

Try matching the stock fan that came with with the H50, as far RPM and CFM, that what is what worked best for me. I did try other fans, but my temps actually rose. Also, make sure that you got the right amount of A5 on the processor. I used a old credit card to smooth it out, so that you've got a thin, but smooth coverage. Tighten the screws down good on the H50 to the motherboard, more than just snug. On your fans, the outer one should be having the airflow in towards the case, the inner fan should have the airflow going outwards to the back of the case. The corsair fan that came with the H50 should be plugged into your CPU fan header, make sure that your bios is set not to throttle your CPU fan. Make sure that the H50 pump is hooked up to non throttled power as well, it should be around 1400 RPM.

• 3 weeks later...
Just wanted to update. So corsair had me send in my H50 and I guess it was def defective. They sent me a brand new one and I installed it just now. Im now idling at 43-45 instead of the 51 before. I decided to use the stock TIM that comes with it this time for the install. Although I wonder if it would be cooler by a degree or two if I did AS5. So as a new user to water cooling and the H50 im very happy with the end result. For all the people who have posted after me saying they had high temps you may have just gotten a defective unit cause the H50 works as advertised.

Glad they got it sorted for you. But honestly idle temps doesn't really matter. It is the load temps that you need to worry about. I think 3.8ghrz - 4.0ghrz on the i7 line up is about max for this h50.

Unless you do some high cfm fans in a push and pull, or a 38mm and a fan controller. Product does good but after those clocks it just heats up way too high.

Super great product for people with super small cases and very quiet indeed. Still doing test on my so we will see what happens with some other fan set ups later.

Archived