Corsair Community

Possible dead Voyager GT 2GB

Citizen Crazed

Ladies and gents, have a problem with this drive. Windows can't access it, or format it. Starting the PC with the drive plugged in slows POST down by about 10 seconds. Open the disc in Explorer and even selecting one of the files will be enough to lock the window - at least until Explorer times out and restarts.

The Panasonic SD format utility linked to up in the stickies won't format it either, says it's write protected. When I followed Yellowbeard's suggestion of booting a Win98 command prompt and running FDISK, I was able to delete the partition, but when I tried to create a new one, the system just hung at 0% on the subsequent Verifying Disk step.

When I restarted Windows after trying it and connected the drive, I could still see the previous contents of the disk in Explorer despite having supposedly deleted the partition successfully - although as above I couldn't do anything with them.

I've tried the Super Stick Recovery Tool mentioned elsewhere on the stickies but all I got was a "Device Not Found" error. I'd rather get this one working than RMA it if at all possible, as I need it for a specific usage that larger drives aren't as good for, so are there any further miracle cures I could try? I'm not worried about the data, I just need a working drive.

Thanks muchly for any pointers

Yes, tried that Yellowbeard - as per the second paragraph. First time I tried it the system just froze when trying to check the disk integrity after re-creating the partition.

I've just tried it again on a different system and this time FDISK doesn't even see the faulty one in the disk list. It does recognise another good GT that I tried as a control.

When I RMA it, will I get another 2GB GT back, or will it be replaced by something else given that they're now out of production? Would prefer a like for like replacement if at all possible.

Yes, tried that Yellowbeard - as per the second paragraph. First time I tried it the system just froze when trying to check the disk integrity after re-creating the partition.

I've just tried it again on a different system and this time FDISK doesn't even see the faulty one in the disk list. It does recognise another good GT that I tried as a control.

When I RMA it, will I get another 2GB GT back, or will it be replaced by something else given that they're now out of production? Would prefer a like for like replacement if at all possible.

I've tried the Super Stick Recovery Tool mentioned elsewhere on the stickies but all I got was a "Device Not Found" error.

I read your post but did not recognize the term "Super Stick Recovery Tool". ;):

Your replacement drive will be determined by Customer Service via the RMA department. Once you have submitted your RMA, you can contact CS and find out what your replacement options are.

CS: http://www.corsair.com/contact/default.aspx

Archived